Glacier-slow Windows Installer

firegamp 11:20 23 Sep 09

I recently installed Office Home and Student 2007 after completely removing my non-genuine version. The n ew Office is fine (including the Office Word that was the main reason for the swap - it had vanished with the removal men of course). Trouble is, I now have a Windows Installer that moves slower than a backward tortoise! I think there might be several copies of Installer on my XP Pro machine and that the wrong one is being activated. It happens every time I click on an icon on the desktop. It "prepares to install" for ages, then puts up a new window saying the installer patch might not be genuine. Please, does anyone know what I should do? My copy of XP Pro SP2 IS genuine. firegamp

mfletch 17:57 23 Sep 09

Do you mean when you want to install a new program {software}

Or when you click on a desktop icon to open a already installed program {run it}

firegamp 20:30 23 Sep 09

Good point mfletch. It's when I click on a desktop icon, such as Eudora, Office Word, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Photo Editor, etc. Is there a "correct" (therefore faster) installer? If I found one (how?) and downloaded and installed it, would it automatically become the default one? Or would I have to delete the other(s)? Questions, questions!! Headaches, headaches!! Just thought - would re-installing XP Pro do the trick? firegamp

mfletch 10:42 24 Sep 09

Its not a installer! its the program its self that starts so its your windows system.

If your system is low on ram that is the reason its slow,

Go to start>right click on my Computer>click on Properties

What does it say about the amount of RAM

firegamp 09:22 29 Sep 09

Problem solved -- everything moving like a hare, not a tortoise. Tried the low ram route with no joy and eventually phoned M'soft Tech Help. Guy from Punjab now based in Milan set up remote control via Easy Assist. Diagnosis took nearly an hour. Turned out that my newly-installed Office Home and Student had glitched during installation and one tiny part had not installed. The Help chap's email report this morning (29 Sept 09) read as follows:
Action: Tried to fix the windows installer pop-up.
Result: Not able to do so.
Cause: File was missing.
Resolution: Created the file and error disappeared.

Sighs of relief all round. Thanks Harnesh Sharma abd thanks to mfletch and all your forum colleagues!! firegamp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…