Giving remote access to spyware? TECH ONLINE?

IanDB 21:46 10 Jul 09

Hello, a company calling themselves 'tech-online' (or any combination of those words) called my mother for an issue she had on her PC, she ended up giving them remote access to her PC for nearly 2 hours to 'install' some software that could short her PC out.
I have no idea why she's done that and that is as much information I have on my hands.
Do anyone know if this is a legit company? Is she in danger of ID theft? Have they installed a spyware? Could they have copy her HD?
Any help would be appreciated as I can find information on the company (tech online) or the website she accessed (letmein123.com or something like this) online.

Technotiger 21:49 10 Jul 09

click here

On the face of it, looks legit. But two hours??

Technotiger 21:54 10 Jul 09

Looks dodgy!

click here

IanDB 08:04 11 Jul 09

We cancelled everything, credit cards, the lot.
Still wanna know if the PS is reusable or they could monitor her transactions.

Technotiger 09:09 11 Jul 09

I have just re-read your initial post - you say Tech-online called your mother? Had your mother previously contacted this 'firm' re any query, or was the call out-of-the-blue?

If the latter then I would say that it is almost certainly non-legit!

As everything was cancelled by yourselves, I guess that should prevent any further exploitation, but I would keep a very close eye on all Accounts, and at the same time make sure that the bank and anyone else concerned, are kept fully aware of the potential problem.

Unfortunately in the world of computers, ID theft/spyware/copying cannot be completely ruled out - but, fore-warned is fore-armed!

The computer is still usable after taking precautions, some of which you already have, and also making sure all Passwords/email addresses etc are changed, and then changed again until such times as your mother again feels safe.

Good luck.

Technotiger 09:14 11 Jul 09

For further excellent advice, this may help ...

click here

lotvic 20:51 14 Jul 09

more instances of phone call on this thread click here

lotvic 21:12 14 Jul 09

Fake tech support call scam – prefetch virus logmein123.com
I have found more info on this click here
(digitaltoast.co.uk/fake-tech-support-call-scam)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…