gigabyte router

onthelimit 15:32 19 Feb 10

Hello. I've been with Tiscali for ages, but fed up with poor service recently. Have changed to Plusnet, but am trying to use original Tiscali router (which I paid for). when I log into router, however, it seems to be locked to Tiscali. Is there anyway to unlock it so I can avoid paying for a new one. Thanks

mgmcc 17:10 19 Feb 10

I know that routers supplied free by ISPs are often "locked" to their service, but it seems a bit naughty to lock routers that are "paid for".

Depending on the make of router, you may be able to download and install the latest firmware from the manufacturer's website (e.g. Netgear DG834 series), thereby overwriting the locked firmware already installed.

onthelimit 17:30 19 Feb 10

Hmm, not sure how to do that as I can't connect using that router. Perhaps I'll just bite the bullet and get another off ebay!

mgmcc 20:59 19 Feb 10

Updated firmware should be a file on the manufacturer's website which you can download with *any* internet connection. Once saved in the PC, go into the router's settings (by connecting to it with an ethernet cable and typing its IP address into your web browser) and there should be an option to update its firmware. You then 'Browse' to the file that you've saved in the PC.

onthelimit 22:16 19 Feb 10

Thanks mgmcc - I'll give it a go tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced