gigabyte realtek AC 97 intergrated sound card

johnwrite 21:14 22 May 04

i have a gigabyte GA-7VAX motherboard with intergrated realtek AC 97 sound card (as my title suggests) and i use win 98. I have used this system in the past and also with linux and have always been able to get sound after installing drivers, but recently my comp was re-fomatted and since theni dont get sound when i try and install the drivers.

usually when i try and install the drivers and i put in win98 disc in at startup the cd-rom just keeps stoping and starting, but even when it does load completely i still dont get sound

Smegs 00:10 23 May 04

johnwrite, What do you mean by "when i try and install the drivers"? Are the drivers installed? Have you been to MS update site to see if you need updated drivers? click here You can download some drivers from here.

johnwrite 22:05 23 May 04

the ms updates were only IE language tools.

By installing the drivers i meant the computer had been formated and therefore there were no drivers installed so i used the installation disc to install the drivers.

is it possible i might need a new sound card?

Smegs 00:10 24 May 04

johnwrite, you shouldn't need a new sound card. But you can pick one up for about £10. Did you try that link I gave you?

temp003 08:46 24 May 04

You said you tried to install the drivers with the "win98 disc".

Shouldn't you be installing the sound driver from the motherboard CD?

If you have been using the motherboard CD already, and that didn't install, the Realtek driver is also available for download on the Gigbyte site. click here It's a whopping 19MB download (but with that size, it must include a lot of software applications).

For smaller download sizes, try click here and click here

johnwrite 10:58 24 May 04

sorry i should have been clearer

i install the drivers from the cd and i have also downloaded the 19 MB thingy from gigabyte. they install fine, its when it asks, after the restart, for the win 98 disc that the comp freezes

i thought it might just be a crap scratched disc but even when it does load fine i still dont have sound, i think i'll just stick in a new card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…