Gigabyte GA-7VAXP

professor 00:42 04 May 03

A simple quick question.

i've got the above board, i hear gigabye in the GA-7VAXP ultra hide away the DRAM timings you have to press Ctrl-F1> to get at them. Iv'e done this with my board but still cant get at them so i wanted to know where exactly i need to push Ctrl-F1> in BIOS to get at them with my GA-7VAXP

prof

hugh-265156 00:47 04 May 03

is it a branded computer?if so might not have the options in the bios.ive a gigabyte board that is supposed to have all sorts of bios options according to gigabytes website but because its a pre built computer i have no options in the bios for tuning.

professor 01:02 04 May 03

my pc i built myself so i do have all the options just dont know how to un-hide the DRAM timings also huggyg71 you will find that if you know the make of your MB go to the manufacturers website and download the latest BIOS for it as prebuilt pcs have customised BIOS' so if you get the latest you will get all the options for your MB

prof

hugh-265156 01:09 04 May 03

i have been told not to risk it by other forum members have you done this yourself? i can remember reading a link not so long ago about gaining access to the advanced settings but cant find it unfortunatly.will keep looking.think it was just ctrl or shift + F1 on post screen though.

professor 01:19 04 May 03

i have flashed a BIOS many times problem is people say its "dangerous" but its not its just common sense make sure the BIOS is the right one for your MB and you will be fine simply make a bootable floppy (FORMAT A: /S) then copy the latest BIOS for your MB to that floppy and if you have a Award BIOS get the awdflash file to go with your BIOS file if you cant find the awdflash file email me at [email protected] and i will send it to you. If you want you can tell me you MB make and model number (e.g. Gigabyte GA-7VAXP) and i will get all the files you need along with the BIOS for your MB compile it all and send it to you.

prof

hugh-265156 01:26 04 May 03

click here is the link your after i think toward the end of it.i have flashed my bios before from packard bell site due to cdrom problems and it all went smooth and fixed the problems for me i know my mobo is this one click here but do not know if the flash will work with my packard bell.

hugh-265156 01:31 04 May 03

also says things like supports easytune 3 which when i tried comes up with an error not supported by this bios.

hugh-265156 01:37 04 May 03

and ps again i have an ami bios and the gigabyte site says its award bios????? my board has stamped on it GA-8siml so am confused.

DieSse 01:45 04 May 03

Really you shouldn't advise flashing the BIOS to get extra features on OEM board versions. OEM board versions may be very different from standard retail versions, and may not respond correctly to BIOS flashing.

BIOS flashes should only be done when you are absolutely sure you have the correct model motherboard, and the BIOS update fixes a problem that you have. Anything else is playing with fire.

I agree the actual procedure is relatively straightforward, but the consequences of a mistake are dire.

On your specific question - why do you want to change the DRAM timings? - what do you hope to gain from this? - what setting do you want to change that you can't find? - do you have a version 1.1 or a version 1.2 board?

hugh-265156 01:48 04 May 03

if your asking me its a version 1 board.

hugh-265156 01:51 04 May 03

and its the plain sis 650 chip not the gx version

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5