Gigabyte GA-7VA S.M.A.R.T enable ?

rdh660 19:24 07 Apr 03

I am a PC novice and I have just replaced my old gigabyte motherboard with a Gigabyte GA-7VA board.
I have two maxtor hard disks fitted and with my older Gigabyte board I could to enable S.M.A.R.T
capabilities in the bios. However This later board reports on boot up that both disks are S.M.A.R.T capable but the function is disabled but I cannot find any option in the bios to enable the feature. The manual doesn't give any hints either eg switches or jumpers to change and I have mailed gigabyte but received no reply.

Can anybody tell me how to enable this feature on this board?
regards Rob.

y_not 19:57 07 Apr 03

Have you installed the 4 in 1 drivers?

click here - not sure but I think that these are your problem - you are only using a small part of the mainboard abilities until you install the drivers.

Hope it helps

Tony

hugh-265156 20:50 07 Apr 03

go into the bios and look under advanced configuration.enable and exit saving changes.

rdh660 20:51 07 Apr 03

Sorry I've been offline for a while. Yes I have already installed the 4 in 1 drivers for the board but I am not given the option to enable the SMART function at all in the bios or anywhere else for that matter .
Thanks for the idea and the link.
Rob

rdh660 20:54 07 Apr 03

Thanks Huggy I'll give that a try now.

rdh660 21:06 07 Apr 03

In the bios the advanced section does not give the option to enable or disable the SMART capability.

I don't know much about these things but is there some software for the hard disks I may have not installed somewhere along the line that would help? (probably a daft question)
Rob

hugh-265156 01:01 08 Apr 03

and easy way of finding info on the parts inside the box what drivers and programs are running etc.it also provides links to makers websites.can be helpful at times.click here from that im afraid i havent got a clue.:-)

DieSse 08:13 08 Apr 03

I've never seen a modern motherboard without SMART capability. The fact you are getting the message, to me, indicates there is such a capability, but it's simply not enabled. The disabling/enabling is always done in the BIOS. IMHO, the inescapable conclusion is that you've not yet looked in the correct place in the BIOS.

I've looked in the manula, but it isn't actually shown - so on the Standard CMOS Features page, I suggest you "Enter" at the IDE Primary master line - and hope it's shown on the page that comes up (which is not in the manual as far as I can see.

Laser157 15:20 08 Apr 03

I get this message on my Gigabyte GA-7ZMMH mobo. I have AMBIOS and the switch for the SMART facility is in the BIOS FEATURES SETUP screen. This is the next screen after Standard CMOS Setup in the main BIOS menu. I get the message because I choose to have SMART turned off. Is it really of any use to normal users?

rdh660 16:32 08 Apr 03

Thanks everyone for the help. I have searched high and low in every section of the bios but there certainly is no option to enable the feature. On my old Gigabyte board it was there as a simple enable/disable option but as I say with this new GA7VA it is nowhere to be found.....seems a poor do for such a new board but I don't really have the knowledge to comment. I can only think that maybe the Hard disk jumpers must need to be set differently ??.. but I am only making wild guesses without as I say any real knowledge. Gigabyte still have not replied despite numerous mails. I'll leave the enquiry open for a while and maybe someone else with this board will contact me and say whether the option is available to them

Thanks again for your time and effort everybody

regards Rob

Gunstar 18:50 08 Apr 03

I have a Gigabyte GA-7DXE and when I use something like speedfan, it says it's enabled (S.M.A.R.T), And shows all the usual info.

So I'd assume that it's just enabled by default, as there wouldn't really be much reason to turn it off I'd imagine?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…