Gigabyte GA-6VTXE(A) mainboard & 160Gb HDD

Aristocatman 21:06 19 Jan 05

I recently replaced the mainboard on my old 866 P3 PC I used a gigabyte GA-6VTXE(A)board & a new 160 8Mb Cache Hard drive. On boot up the system struggles to detect the HDD usually fails the first time but finds it after a delay if you hit the reset button it also only sees the drive as 120Mb. Mainboard Bios is dated 01-15-2003 & setup to auto detect HDD. HDD is normal ATA can't remember the manufacturer off hand.
I assume problem is mainboard is a bit old hat for the drive & is not the end of the world as PC is generally left on all the time. But if a setting change could fix it......

Diodorus Siculus 21:47 19 Jan 05

I doubt that a settings change will allow you to recognise the whole disk - a bios flash will be necessary I expect.

As for the failure to pick it up first time, there is an option to disable fast boot within many BIOS chips - worth a look.

Aristocatman 22:33 19 Jan 05

I,m not to worried about the loss of capacity although if a bios flash is available I might give it a try.
I'll look at the option to disable fast boot seeing the vast number of options generally available I'm sure that will be one of them, not like my old Compaq which seemed to be devoid of options generally.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5