Gigabit switch worth having?

wavesailor 12:16 15 Aug 05

Would I notice the difference if I changed our 5 10/100 mbps switches to the newer Gigabit switches. My network is 7 workstations sharing 2 gig broadband access, we operate from 4 separate buildings on a farm with max 75 metres between buildings. We share an Act6 database, an Access database and soon an EPOS system, we also transfer images across the network

BigMoFoT 21:40 15 Aug 05

Your question is simply yes!! You will notice a massive difference sharing files, software and data. Beleive me it makes a difference - Bear in mind that all your workstations will also need to be gigabit compliant i.e. a gigabit network card, either on-board or PCI. If you have this then give it a try between 2 workstations. The beuaty with gigabit ports is that you won't need a a cross-over cable to connect 2 workstations together, a standard patch cable will work fine...

LastChip 01:59 16 Aug 05

You will certainly see a big difference on any large file.

The downside; although it will run on CAT 5e cable, to get the absolute best out of it, you really need Cat 6.

Note: For the purposes of clarity, it will work on Cat 5e and there will be an improvement.

wavesailor 08:48 16 Aug 05

Anyone in the market for 5 nearly new 10/100 mbps netgear switches?

Gaz 25 01:33 06 Sep 05

Why not sell you old ones on ebay? :-D

If they are managed, I would buy one!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…