Giga-byte GA7VRXP Compatibility issues

smoovy 01:58 10 Mar 03

Hi there all,
I have a AMD Athlon 1.7, 512mb Kingston RAM, and a Geforce 4 MX 440.
When i first put together my machine, it worked perfectly, but i have since undated loads of drivers, and now the system crashes whenever i play a 3d game.
Ok, so ive been through every geforce 4 driver there is, no luck(using at the moment. I think it maybe something to do with the SYSTEM thermal shutdown, cus thats what it appears to do.
The TEMP for my Sys is on average 40-50 Degrees C. is that normal?
Other than that, XP tells me my system has recovered from a serious error, and it was caused by a device driver - how can i loacate which one??
Are there any simular compatibility issues with the geforce 4 and the VIA chipsets?
System information tells me my graphics card is sharing the same IRQ's as my modem, and my VIA USB controller - it that ok??

clayton 02:35 10 Mar 03

on the early motherboards there was a problem with GeForce 4 graphics cards compatibility problem but if your board is new you shouldnt have this problem you could try & phone Gigabyte uk on 07908 362700 ex218 my board was a rev1.1

AndySD 07:35 10 Mar 03

Its a driver problem ...and yes its between the geforce card and the via drivers. Have you tried updating the via drivers yet?

click here

goonerbill 09:32 10 Mar 03

have you done a bios update. i have a ga-7vax and a bios update and VIA drivers ( all versions ) kept crashing back to desktop when playing games. if ya have done a bios update go back to original and everything should be ok.

smoovy 12:31 10 Mar 03

My BIOS Version is F12
and my motherboard revision is 2.0
what set of drivers would you recommend i use? i dont know if i should use the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers with the latest Geforce drivers, is there any combo that works?
Currently (NVidia) (VIA) (Not hyperion 4in1)

AndySD 12:48 10 Mar 03

I spent 13 hours on Saterday trying to sort a problem out with the mx440 and via chipset. It turned out to be a mixture of things. In the end I put in a high quality 300w power supply then got the card on its own IRQand installed the 41.09 NVidia drivers followed by the hyperion drivers.

I ran the VIA drivers first and uninstall the drivers. Now run the 41.09 NVidia drivers reboot and add the AGP v4.30a driver click here reboot then use the hyperion drivers but untick the agp driver.

goonerbill 15:02 10 Mar 03

you say ya bios version is F12. it might be worth trying F10 bios update, as in my earlier reply i had trouble with gigabytes latest bios update for my mobo and all of VIA's 4in1 drivers but everything was ok when i went back to original bios.

not saying this will fix ya problem but it may be worth a try and if it still plays up ya know its not the bios and can re-install F12 bios. also down load VIA's 4.45 hyperian drivers.

smoovy 22:49 10 Mar 03

if ya all take a look, VIA have the drivers, the very latest. ran C & C generals after the install of the new Hyperion drivers, and it seems to be a lot more stable!
the drivers seem to what was making my machine hang/lock/crash.
fingers crossed for now !!
cheers Y'all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…