.gif from internet shows on 1 pc but not another?

grumpy-git 12:52 07 Oct 05

Added a .gif with link to a web page yesterday, tested it & it worked fine.

Later on looked at the same page using a different pc but the image and link were missing.

Viewing source html from browser on each machine also shows differences.

Working version is:-

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

!--This file created 12:18 PM 07/Oct/05 by Claris Home Page version 2.0-->
HTML>
HEAD>
TITLE>weblinktest /TITLE>
META NAME=GENERATOR CONTENT="Claris Home Page 2.0">
X-SAS-WINDOW TOP=25 BOTTOM=621 LEFT=4 RIGHT=534>
/HEAD>
BODY>

P> CENTER> A HREF="click here"
TARGET="_blank"> IMG SRC="TN.gif" WIDTH=468 HEIGHT=60
X-SAS-UseImageWidth X-SAS-UseImageHeight ALIGN=bottom> /A>
/CENTER> /P>
/BODY>
/HTML>

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On the other pc which doesn't show the image & link:-

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

!--This file created 12:18 PM 07/Oct/05 by Claris Home Page version 2.0-->
HTML>
HEAD>
TITLE>weblinktest /TITLE>
META NAME=GENERATOR CONTENT="Claris Home Page 2.0">
X-SAS-WINDOW TOP=25 BOTTOM=621 LEFT=4 RIGHT=534>
/HEAD>
BODY>

P> CENTER> A HREF="click here"
TARGET="_blank"> /A>
/CENTER> /P>
/BODY>
/HTML>

So, the missing part is:-

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IMG SRC="TN.gif" WIDTH=468 HEIGHT=60
X-SAS-UseImageWidth X-SAS-UseImageHeight ALIGN=bottom>

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The page url is:-

click here

and is purely a test page with a link. So, if you see nothing on that page, try viewing the source to see what is there, but if you see the banner which contains a link then there isn't a problem with your browser/machine

The pc on which it works fine is Windows ME & the other is XP with Norton anti spam.

I have tried turning up the pop up blocker but can anybody else explain the problem?

Thanks,
G-G

mco 16:01 07 Oct 05

can't help you with that one but I can say that I'm on xp professional and can see it fine. I don't have Norton though.

grumpy-git 16:21 07 Oct 05

I did try disabling Norton somewhere within IE options, but that didn't help.

Can't understand why it is eliminated from the source code which shows on the XP machine, maybe the browser could have blocked an image, but to remove html code as well?

Thanks anyway, we'll see what other people can come up with later, hopefully?

G-G

mco 16:36 07 Oct 05

await answer with interest!

Forum Editor 17:55 07 Oct 05

with three computers and two browsers (IE & Firefox) shows me the same source code and a working link in each case.

I'm dashing from one office to another one nine miles away now, and haven't had a chance to look into your problem in any more detail, but I'll check back later tonight.

grumpy-git 18:47 07 Oct 05

2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Never thought of trying it on there before, but it works.

So, the problem is with this XP machine & the first thing that springs to mind is Norton anti spam?

Looking forward to further replies.

G-G

PurplePenny 19:12 07 Oct 05

Works for me on XP with Firefox, Opera8.5 and IE. What browser is the non-showing machine using?

Might be anti-spam -- could it be interpreting X-SAS-WINDOW as something malicious?

Do a search for X-SAS-WINDOW and you will turn up lots of sites using that code. Take a look at one of them on the non-showing PC and on the PC that does show your link. If something shows-up on the second but not the first then you will know that it is the X-SAS that is messing things up.

What is the X-SAS stuff anyway? I'm guessing that whatever it is it won't validate.

Forum Editor 19:15 07 Oct 05

The website design world has moved on in a big way since that was released in 1996.

It might be time you considerd moving to a new design application.....or have we had that conversation already?

grumpy-git 19:21 07 Oct 05

FE,

I "think" I tried it with NOF last night, that failed as well. Not sure but it might have worked with a very small .gif in an earlier experiment but the one which isn't showing for me is a much larger one.

PurplePenny,

Browser is IE6. I will investigate further later on when Mrs. G-G has gone to bed & I have more time.

But, meantime, any suggestions from anybody else?

G-G

Forum Editor 19:25 07 Oct 05

Maybe, but there was a potentially very serious security problem with Claris Homepage 2.0, and I do not recommend that you continue to use it if at all possible. The problem may have been fixed, back in the dim and distant past, but I don't recall hearing that it was, and in any case the online world was a somewhat safer place nine years ago.

grumpy-git 20:10 07 Oct 05

Made a new simple 1 page site.

It uses 2 .gif's - a small one and the large 1 you have all seen before.

Both link to the same url.

It "previews" perfectly, but when uploaded & viewed over the internet, guess what, I only see the small .gif.

For some reason it doesn't like the larger .gif

G-G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5