GhostWall Firewall

Carpigiani 20:46 24 Nov 06

Hi all

I am looking for a free personal firewall that is suitable for use with 64 bit Windows.

The usual ones recommended here ie Zone Alarm, Kerio & Comodo will not work with Windows 64.

I have found GhostWall click here

Has anyone used this, is it any good?

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks.

Belatucadrus 22:19 24 Nov 06

GhostWall is effective, but it's rule based which means you need to be very aware of what's going on in order to fine tune it and get the best out of it. Not intuitive at all.

Hawy 22:27 24 Nov 06

Zone Alarm 64 bit is in beta if you're brave enough :o) click here

Carpigiani 22:58 24 Nov 06

Thanks for replies.

Belatucadrus, do you think GhostWall is a better alternative to Windows built in firewall?

Hawy, will monitor developments with Zone Alarm & try it when it is fully released.

Cheers both.

Belatucadrus 01:17 25 Nov 06

Is Ghostwall better than Windows firewall ? Being so user dependant, I'd say it has the potential to be much better in the hands of an expert user. But it's not going to give any feedback and isn't going to advise you if something tries to call in or out. It gives you the opportunity to set your own rules and comes with a default set that's probably OK for many users.
But I think to get the best from it you need a fairly good grounding in what the communication ports do and how you want them to behave.
Not for casual users IMHO.

Carpigiani 11:22 26 Nov 06

Thanks for the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…