Ghostly goings on

JonnyTub 20:42 09 Oct 04

Right ladies and gents, i am utterly flummoxed by this one. I had a Philip's sound agent 2 sound card installed in a pci slot, which i removed as it was causing problems, 8 min startups, etc. However after i uninstalled the card (physically removed) and uninstalled the software 2 weeks ago it seems to have come back somehow, it's there in device manager with a yellow exclamation mark and error code:

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

i have right clicked on the entry in device manager and selected install, which it does and after a restart windows "finds new hardware" Philip's sound agent 2 (wdm)????? How can this be??. I put up with this for about a week, but now i believe it to be causing more problems, my CD and DVD drives are now (code 41) not installed correctly, and i have to wait for about 5 minutes after xp pro has started for anything to become useable, i.e. start button, desktop icon. There is also the newest problem that my network connections folder is blank, i know there should be my modem, network card, etc but it's plain old empty, yet i can still connect to the web and modem is fine.

I've never experienced an installation go wrong in this way, saying that I've never experienced a piece of hardware that has been physically removed to come back!!

Should i call the exorcist or just reinstall, I'd prefer not to do the latter.

JonnyTub 20:49 09 Oct 04

just to add, i don't have any kind of virus or trojan, i can confirm this through a total of 12 different software app's, all reporting clean, including four different online scans.

ahales42 20:50 09 Oct 04

not being too clued up on this i think that there are registry files being loaded on startup. you need a prog to delete redundant reg files. try iolo.com hope it helps

woodchip 20:50 09 Oct 04

try running SFC Scannow in the run box

woodchip 20:51 09 Oct 04

XP is mixing you network up with the sound card

JonnyTub 20:53 09 Oct 04

done the usual, regcleaner, scannow command say's i have put the wrong disk in, no i haven't.

Woodchip, you may be onto something, any ideas how to rectify this?

woodchip 20:58 09 Oct 04

Try the above first

JonnyTub 20:58 09 Oct 04

I have

JonnyTub 21:00 09 Oct 04

right it gets worse, i've just lost my printer, had enough i'm going for a repair and if that won't work a format and reinstall, i seem to be getting driver error messages by the minute, thanks for the help guys, but i think this one is beyond it.

woodchip 21:14 09 Oct 04

Try this go into BIOS and DISABLE PLUG AND PLAY AND POWER MANAGMENT reboot and see if it reconfigures your plug and play

JonnyTub 21:27 09 Oct 04

No joy, thanks anyhow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…