Ghosting / Imaging software - What to use?

jcotton 17:59 20 Nov 05

Hi all

I want to create a backup for my PC by creating a ghost / image of the hard drive so if something goes wong I can just revert to the ghost / image.

Whats the best piece of software out there to do this?

Cheers

Diodorus Siculus 18:10 20 Nov 05

Disk backup software: hard drive image backup program and cloning disk with operation system
click here

VoG II 18:11 20 Nov 05
  jcotton 18:22 20 Nov 05

Can either of those go on to a DVD. As I have this idea in mind.

What I want to do is format my harddrive put a clean install on xp on, install all the updates and all the up todate drivers for all my gear and then create an image. That way I will have my own Customised XP install on a DVD.

Diodorus Siculus 18:35 20 Nov 05

That's what I do with Win2k - I have a clean install of Win2k fully updated and with all the software that I usually want installed.

After that, defrag the hard disk, remove the paging file and temp files and create an image to a different hard disk. Then I burned this image to a DVD and can use it when a reinstall becomes necessary.

Diodorus Siculus 18:36 20 Nov 05

Meant to add that both will burn to CD / DVD and various other media.

originalmiscellany 18:36 20 Nov 05

you can do! It's what i've done, and using acronis, it takes about 5 minutes to reinstall if there are any problems. It's well worth doing should you ever "have a problem"...

PaulB2005 19:23 20 Nov 05

Totally un-necessary if using True Image as the Page File takes up no space in the image. It'll say it does but it doesn't.

jcotton 19:46 20 Nov 05

OK maybe a stupid question but..

If you have a hard drive say 20gb and you install windows, drivers and progs etc etc and only use 4gb. Is the backup from acronis 4gb or 20gb

Cheers

Diodorus Siculus 19:52 20 Nov 05

The image is only 4GB

absent 20:02 20 Nov 05

My c drive is aprox 35 gb, image is 25 gb using normal compression.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…