Ghosting a faulty laptop HDD

Flopper 10:41 23 Jul 12

I have a laptop running Vista which keeps rebooting, often as soon as it hits the desktop, sometimes a little later.

The inbuilt diagnostic software states the drive needs replacing.

I attached the faulty hdd to a good laptop and ran a chkdsk to check for errors which it found and supposedly put in a separate folder and then ghosted the old hdd to this new hdd using Acronis software but sadly all it did was copy the faults across.

It did say during ghosting it could not read certain sectors.

Is there any third party software that will actually cordon off any bad sectors and move the files within to a good bit and allow me to ghost cleanly?

robin_x 11:38 23 Jul 12

Did you run chkdsk with full repair parameters?

ie chkdsk x: /f /r etc

I'd be tempted to try again.

-x-

I don't know any Imaging program that would work as you want. They all seem to fail with bad sectors. (Easeus/Macrium/Paragon)

Perhaps you could xcopy . and sub-folders, zero size files, hidden and system files, ignore errors, etc?

robin_x 11:47 23 Jul 12

Edit: Oh and when you do manage to get some decent semblance of a system, copied over, run sfc /scannow or do a Repair Install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…