Ghost slow from CD

GrahamP 13:41 03 Jul 04

I've created a bootable CD containing a Ghost image of a Windows 95 system. The idea is that non-IT staff can restore the system as simply as possible ie insert CD, restart.

This works perfectly when I run the boot from a floppy (image copy still on CD) and takes 4 minutes.

When I put the whole thing on CD it takes twenty minutes. I suspect this is something to do with disk cacheing. Autoexec. bat executes smartdrv.exe which by default loads into upper memory. EMM386.exe is loaded in config.sys and provides the upper memory management. Is it possible that when I run from CD, EMM386 hasn't finished loading by the time SMARTDRV tries to execute and that this disables SMARTDRV. How could I prove/overcome this?

What else could be causing this?

Here are the startup file contents:

CONFIG.SYS
device=oakcdrom.sys /d:seedyrom
device=himem.sys
device=emm386.exe ram
dos=high,umb
files=80
buffers=40
stacks=9,256

AUTOEXEC.BAT
@echo off
mscdex /d:seedyrom
smartdrv.exe 8192
restore

RESTORE
@ECHO OFF
CLS
ECHO This will restore Windows 95 on the Klub Presario.
ECHO All existing data, programs and settings will be deleted.
CHOICE Press Y to continue or N to abort.
IF ERRORLEVEL 2 GOTO FINISH
ghost.exe -clone,mode=load,src=d:\cdr00001.gho,dst=1 -batch
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO PROBLEM
c:\
restore2.bat
GOTO FINISH
:PROBLEM
ECHO Sorry, the restore failed.
ECHO Either retry or retry using a different restore CD.
ECHO For help, call Graham on xxxx xxx xxxx
:FINISH

RESTORE2.BAT
ECHO Windows 95 has been successfully restored.
CHOICE /C:R Remove CD and press R to restart.
c:\reboot.com

Restore2.bat, Choice.com and Reboot.com all exist on the image and hence on the restored C:\ drive.

Reboot is assembled from the code on click here

I have to change to the C drive in Restore otherwise when the floppy/cd is removed the procedure cannot continue.

Any help greatly appreciated.

GrahamP 16:19 04 Jul 04

I'm still not sure if the theory is right but having placed a WAIT for 10 seconds before the SMARTDRV.EXE, everything now works perfectly.
WAIT is a batch procedure containing one line

@CHOICE /T:N,%1% > NUL

obtained from click here

I realise I got no replies to this and wonder if I'm in the right forum. Can anyone recommend a more apporpriate one?

Thanks.

ps how do I get a posting to respect new lines? I didn't intend the contents of the batch files to appear as a continuous line.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…