Ghost - instlaled/uninstalled - now big problems

swapper 06:41 08 Nov 05

WinXP HE, I installed Ghost 2003 straight after a clean install of Windows, Ghost would not run correctly so I did a Uninstall, it has left files onboard and the PC will only start up in PC Dos.
When I insert a floppy boot disk, the machine starts and runs excellently.
I did sfc scannow now, but no difference.

Any advice pleasse?

Diodorus Siculus 06:51 08 Nov 05

Sounds like a damaged boot record.
Microsoft Windows XP - Restoring the MBR
click here

swapper 13:08 08 Nov 05

Diodorus Siculus, I tried that but it did not work, I endede up reinstalling windows xp. when it was back working, I went to Disk Management and found that Norton Ghost had made a new "C" drive 0f 15mg. and that my windows is now on "J" drive, I cannot rename "C" because it says it is the system driv, it now looks as if I am stuck with "J" drive as my windows drive.

When I swithc on the PC, PC DOS appears with the option to open with Windows or Ghost and I have to select.

Any suggestions please?

swapper 14:30 08 Nov 05

^

Diodorus Siculus 15:30 08 Nov 05

Are you in the mood for a reinstall of Windows?

swapper 15:34 08 Nov 05

Diodorus Siculus, Yep! advise?

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:38 08 Nov 05

click here is a good, easy step-by-step guide.

G

Diodorus Siculus 15:39 08 Nov 05

Do you have a windows XP CD or a recovery CD?

Have you backed up your data?

Diodorus Siculus 15:40 08 Nov 05

As best I can see, a repair install of Windows will not suit you - going for a clean install will be best.

woodchip 15:42 08 Nov 05

Yes MBR, It's looking to Boot from CD to Ghost. It may also be the Boot.ini that as been changed in C:\Boot.ini

swapper 15:44 08 Nov 05

GANDALF <|:-)> thanks, but will this remove the small "C" partition that Ghost has created?

My windowsxp has been placed into a "J" drive (not by me but by the setup? (I think) s

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…