gfx card questions

morcar 22:28 17 Aug 09

Right now i have a XFX Geforce 8800GTS 360MB PCI-E it runs now at a core clock of 580MHz and the memory runs at 1.8GHz.

Looking for a new card and i 150 quid to spend on one but i am stick on which ones to get i have seen a few which i will give the urls to soon but i am a gamer so i need one with a lot of kick in it.

Anyway here are the card i have seen. Maybe u know of something better.

nvidia geforce gtx 275
click here

Sapphire HD 4850 X2 1GB GDDR3 Quad DVI HDTV Out PCI-E
click here

XFX 1GB Radeon 4890HD XXX
click here

Any advice would be great ....

citadel 23:23 17 Aug 09

dx 11 cards in september, even if you dont want one there may be price drops on older cards.

crosstrainer 07:55 18 Aug 09

As citadel say's, the longer you wait, the better it gets, but on your list if you want to buy one now, I would go for the Sapphire.

retep888 12:03 18 Aug 09

If you're worried about future DX releases then obviously getting a DX10 only card would be a bit silly at this point.

But it took over a year after DX10 was released before any games actually started to use it,so I'd suggest that get what you want and can afford.

Another thing to consider is your CPU,although nowaday the GPU does most of the graphic work the CPU still plays an important part,you'll need min. an E8400(3.0 ghz or overclocked) or equivalent.

crosstrainer 12:18 18 Aug 09

Or a nice 9600 Phenom...(mobo won't cope with either of our suggestions)

Low on memory too...Hmmm, On balance wait until a complete upgrade can be afforded?

retep888 16:10 18 Aug 09

<<Or a nice 9600 Phenom...(mobo won't cope with either of our suggestions)>>

Not sure the OP told us what Mobo he's got.

<<Low on memory too...Hmmm, On balance wait until a complete upgrade can be afforded?>>

I think the OP was saying about his GX card's memory.
<<Right now i have a XFX Geforce 8800GTS 360MB PCI-E it runs now at a core clock of 580MHz and the memory runs at 1.8GHz.>>

:-)

crosstrainer 16:26 18 Aug 09

True...we need more info!

morcar 09:32 19 Aug 09

thats no problem

Intel Core2Quad Q6600 with G0 stepping
4GB DDR2 1066MHz Corsair Dominator
Gigabyte GA-P35-S3 Motherboard

GaT7 16:09 19 Aug 09

morcar, what screen resolution do you play at please?

retep888, "you'll need min. an E8400(3.0 ghz or overclocked) or equivalent." - wherever did you get that info from? Anyway, it's simply not true at all. Many people I know get on very well with an E5200 (or equivalent dual-core) paired with a good GPU. Only a single-core or very low-end dual-core might not be the best CPU to use with a reasonably good GPU. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…