Gf's Hp pavillion Lappy fan on ALL the time-Grrr!

buel 13:19 06 Jun 09

Hi, my girlfriend's laptop's fan is on all the time, is this a problem in the bios? Has anyone any tips how to explain to me what to do please?

Graphicool1 13:22 06 Jun 09

Is the laptop still under warranty?

buel 13:24 06 Jun 09

Yes it is still under warranty, is it not something i could do?

User-1229748 13:35 06 Jun 09

if it's vista you can go into power options,can't remember exactly how to get to the processor options but you can change it to run at say 80% maximum and that should stop the fan being on all the time.

buel 13:47 06 Jun 09

Ok, thanks, does that mean the laptop processor would run at 20% slower?

OTT_Buzzard 14:29 06 Jun 09

If this is a recent problem and you (or you gf) haven't made any changes in BIOS or power options then i'd ask why it has started....dust ingress is commonly a cause. In that case it needs cleaning out!

Before you reduce the fan speeds (which I think is what smackheadz's post was implying, I'd just check to see what temperature your processor is running at. If it is running hot then reducing the fan speed could cause damage.

Download and insntall Realtemp (click here). It's free software which will give CPU temperature info.

If you can post back and say what CPU it has, looking up its max operating temp is a quick job. Will post links to the relevant place.

User-1229748 14:46 06 Jun 09

sorry i'm not great at explaining things.when i had vista i could change the maximum processor state from 100% to whatever you wanted to.i think it was control panel-power options-and change plan settings or similar.but not changing the fan speed.

User-1229748 14:50 06 Jun 09

it is a bit of a compromise but i never noticed any lack of power at 80% maximum.you might only be able to do it on laptops,it's so you can save battery life etc.

buel 15:43 06 Jun 09

Hi OTT_Buzzard

Thanks for your reply,

It's currently reading 62 degrees celcius

OTT_Buzzard 15:48 06 Jun 09

What processor is it?

buel 15:51 06 Jun 09

It is an Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant