gforce 8500 gt + memory query

soupdragon1 20:37 06 Nov 07

Hi folks, I just installed a gforce 8500gt card with 512mb on board memory. I have a dell dimension 8400 with 3gig ram installed. Since the card went in my available ram is showing 2.25gig when I check it in my computer properties (showed 3gig before)Does the gforce "take" system memory? I can't find the answer anywhere on line. In bios the installed memory is showing 3 gig (2x1gig + 2x512mb) all availablE ,and when I boot the pc a gforce flash appears before the dell boot/setup screen appears.
Any help appreciated.

citadel 22:21 06 Nov 07

the graphics card has it's own bios, this shows on the first screen, it will be 8500gt with details of bios, the motherboard checks the card and if ok adds it to system.

LABMAN 23:25 06 Nov 07

Hi Soupdragon1,

32 bit windows systems will only recognise up to 3Gb of memory installed on a PC and this includes graphics memory and all other memory on the PC, so it looks as if your PC has subtracted the 512mb of the card from your 3Gb of RAM giving you the figure of 2.25Gb.

soupdragon1 23:33 06 Nov 07

Ahhhhh now I do believe I have heard this before but never twigged that the card's memory was included. Makes sense now.
Cheers labman.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant