GF4 and Maya

duplo 15:04 21 Dec 03

Does anyone here know anything about Maya? I am downloading the free version, and it lists graphics cards, but is says

"nVidia and Alias do not recommend these cards for use with Maya as you may experience various refresh, display and stability problems and inadequate performance."

Has anyone tried running it with a GF4 Ti4200 or similar- I would have thought it has enough grunt. Are there special drivers I can download?

Gaz 25 15:20 21 Dec 03

You need a mean machine to run Maya.

I bet it requires more power than that. Prob 4600 or more.

It is for making games.

duplo 15:27 21 Dec 03

Oh.. thats a pain.

The rest of my machine is OKish.. 512 DDR Ram, 2200 Athlon.

Maybe I will ask for a new Graphics card for xmass... fat chance i'll get is.

I am going to try it anyways. This computer used to be a cracker...! :)

Would an FX5200 work?

Jester2K 15:33 21 Dec 03

You'll really have to do some research into this.

Found on click here

Using video cards without Hardware Overlay planes (or Hardware Overlay planes turned off) can result in poor performance for certain operations within Maya including (but not restricted to) use of tools based on Artisan or Paint Textures technology. There will also be visual differences compared with Hardware overlays that may result in difficulty seeing or manipulating aspects of the scene or Maya interface.

Examples of Graphics cards without Hardware overlays include (but are not restricted to):
NVIDIA based TNT/TNT2/GeForce/GeForce2 video cards
ATI Rage128/ Rage128Pro
Matrox G400

you need to look at the Quadro line of nvidia cards

"There are many cards based on GeForce256, GeForce2, GeForce3 and GeForce4 chipsets. nVidia and Alias do not recommend these cards for use with Maya as you may experience various refresh, display and stability problems and inadequate performance.
We suggest you choose from nVidia's workstation cards instead, such as the Quadro families which are much better suited to high-end 3D packages such as Maya."

I'd suggest listing your spec here and on the Maya forum to check you will be up to speed. I noticed that 512 Mb ram was the MINIMUM spec too...

s3mt3x 15:51 21 Dec 03

Yo guys - I ran Maya for 2 years with a geforce 2 MX and had no problems. The video card itself will be under most stress when previewing complex scenes with hardware texturing enabled. Provided you keep your polygons down (i dobt you'll be producing the next star wars anytime soon) your card should be fine. When you start using maya you'll be producing simple, low polygon models such as fishing rods :) but after a few months of learning you may want to invest in a better graphics card. But in all honesty if you can cope with maya running slow in the perspective viewport when you create a lot of polygons/nurbs/sub-d's, then you shouldn't need to worry.

Mysticnas 16:11 21 Dec 03

s3mt3x is correct. I have a GF4 Ti4600 and run Maya, 3Dmax6 as well as many other rendering and editing tools.

You can run these programs with your GF4ti4200 without worries. the newer graphics cards do offer some features that aren't supported with older cards like ours. But as s3mt3x mentioned, unless you're a professional and will be creating highly detailed and sophisticated renders then you won't be needing high end AGP card, yours should do fine.

Ideally, if running a proffesional setup you'd be running a dual processor system with a Quadro graphics card, with at least 2 or 3 GB of RAM etc etc... beyond that you looking at systems designed specifically for a particular purpose/project, network/farm renders, terrabytes of RAM and hard drive space etc...

Maybe one day we'll see your name on credit list StarWars Episode 9, just below mine! :op

duplo 17:59 21 Dec 03

Cheers... I have installed it and not really hit any snags yet, however I think the most I have done so far as created a cube! Exciting!

Cheers for the advice.. I may well get some more Ram if I get into it, but the graphics card will have to last till i finish uni this year.. then I build a monster system anyways!

Gaz 25 20:47 21 Dec 03

You need 2Gigs of memory for Maya to work well, especially when working with large files.

Look at shreik, that needed to be rendered overnight.

Look at a 3.06GHz or a 3200+ Athlon... Minimum for good performance.

Use with a nice 200Gb HDD and you should be fine.

Look at either Quadro or top-of-the line ATi 9850PRO XD or a FX5950Pro.

At least.
It is a good program, but for people with BIG specs.

Jester2K 20:55 21 Dec 03

What have the size of your glasses got to do with it???

Mysticnas 11:11 22 Dec 03

you're going over the top... he's not working for ILM you know :oP

ok ok i have 2gb ram, but thats, just cuz i like things to run a little smoother, but it works fine with 512mb ram and a GF2 even. You don't NEED the latest specs. I run 3DMax6.1, Maya, Premiere6.5, Photoshop7 and whole host of other software, it used to fine on my old setup GF2, 60gb hdd, PIII 700mhz! ok i have a much faster system now, and yes it runs much more smoothly.

And if by Shreik you're refering to Shrek the movie then they will have use a network/render farm, with specifically built hardware and software, nothing you can buy off the shelf or have built from your usual retailer.

Yes fine if you're going to be creating the next starwars or blockbuster game or movie then you will need very highly specified machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…