Getting the wireless internet setup on my laptop

In-need of help 20:45 17 Aug 06

I have a gateway laptop that I bought approx. 3 years ago. I've had aol dial up on the laptop since I purchased it, but now I am off to college and in need of the wireless internet. Please tell me what items I will need in-order to connect wirelessly.

VoG II 20:51 17 Aug 06

Is it wireless enabled? If not you can purchase a PCMCIA wireless adaptor.

dms05 20:51 17 Aug 06

I assume your are using Windows XP with SP2 installed. If you are you will need to add a WiFi adaptor. This can be a USB dongle or a PC Card (PCMCIA). Both should work with your college connection. Lots available. Take your pick. An example is click here

It may also be possible to fit a mini-pci card to your laptop but that's a little more complicated and a PC Card solution might be easiest.

When you look closer you will see that WiFi has various speeds available. Pick a 54 Mb/sec as it's probably the most universal. It's called 802.11g.

VoG II 21:03 17 Aug 06

Via e-mail.

Yes the laptop is wireless enabled.

===================================

In-need of help - you should respond using the Add a new response box at the bottom of this page. The yellow envelope is for invited private messages.

In-need of help 21:35 17 Aug 06

yes its wireless enabled and i was told i needed to get a wireless router how true is that?

~#@@#~ 21:43 17 Aug 06

" i needed to get a wireless router how true is that? "

If you are setting up the connection yourself, yes.

If you are using the colleges network, no. If they are WiFi enabled you just need the dongle or pcmcia card. the college will give you the code to join the network.

Strawballs 21:57 17 Aug 06

If it is wireless enabled you wil not need anything to conect to the college wireless network. There is bound to be plenty of people there to help if they use encryption.

In-need of help 22:07 17 Aug 06

I want to setup the connection myself, because i will not be on campus at all times. Also, i want my subscription to be with aol, do i download aol dsl or broadband?

In-need of help 02:21 22 Aug 06

I want to setup the wireless connection on my wireless enabled laptop. Also, i want my subscription to be with aol, do i download aol dsl or broadband? I already have a wireless router what else do i need.

terryf 02:24 22 Aug 06

Why AOL, are you a masochist:-)

In-need of help 02:26 22 Aug 06

no im just use to the service. what do u suggest?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…