getting winXP SP1 off another pc

fsssh 20:39 16 Jan 03
  fsssh 20:39 16 Jan 03

is it possible to download windows xp home edition service pack 1 on another computer NOT running xp? im at university and would like to download it in 10 seconds on these computers onto a zip disc then take it home, rather than wait for my xp pc at home to download it over a 56k connection that keeps dropping.

Lú-tzé 20:43 16 Jan 03

Yes, there should be no problem. Just do a full download and take it home.

WiLL-A 20:48 16 Jan 03

I found when trying to download this update that you couldnt specify the location on your hardisk to save it to.

Instead windows does the downloading and installing for you.

I tried finding the install files afterwards but no luck.

The only way to get the actual install files is to get the larger 130MB version designed for networked PCs.

Lú-tzé 20:55 16 Jan 03

click here - if you can wait a few days and get MS to send you a cd with it - free of charge.

fsssh 21:22 16 Jan 03

i just find that whatever link i use it always tries to find if i have it on this computer, and the network wont allow changes to the OS so it comes up with an error. i just want to be able to download ALL the files regardless of whether or not i already have them on my home pc as my windows update doesnt seem to work properly. the website just keeps trying to see if i need them all, very kind of it i'm sure but I WANT THEM ALL!

Lú-tzé 21:49 16 Jan 03

fsssh - try this link, and choose "download" from the right panel.

http:// www. microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5ce4831d-4c4f-4d51-bf4c-0ad96667ff43&DisplayLang=en

you may have to reassemble the link.

fsssh 22:19 16 Jan 03

i've got the file off but now i need to get it on a 100Mb zip and its 134Mb! anyone know a good file splitter? all the ones i can find are shareware and dont split larger files that 3Mb or fall over when they do! i need something free and good! (maybe a little optomistic ;-)

fsssh 22:19 16 Jan 03

oh and it needs to work in XP!!

Lú-tzé 07:58 17 Jan 03

fsssh - the more I read, the more I think you should ask MS to send you the CD - it is free.

Still, you are persistent so here is a link to a free splitter:
click here

From their site:
"HJSplit 2.2 for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP
Very nice looking file splitter. Freeware. Can split files of any type and size. This program can even handle files which are larger than 10Gb!"

Good luck!

fsssh 12:36 17 Jan 03

cheers Lú-tzé and all - i know i'm stubborn but while i have have access to a network that can download over 4Mb/sec i'm determined to use it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…