getting stuff back

jack 14:22 02 Sep 06

Weds 30 8.am- fired her up - did my mail took a look at here and there as well ,did a C Clean shut her down and out for the day. Come Evening - fired her up and immediately went into a POST/Select Windows loop. nothing remedial worked. No Safe mode, No revert, No repair [ R/Auto repair disk ]would do any thing. Nothing for it but to reinstall a fresh.
This gives rise to several puzzlements.
I now have two windows folders the old one and the new one - I guess when all is done I shall delete the old one- but not yet.
Why- did it happen - Reg corruption of some sort at a guess - but I guess I will never know?
After the install M/S want me to register -' again' but this O/S on this machine is, already - so whats to do there?
If I attempt it- will I be a pirate?
Last inghts updates came in and I left the machine on to complete- but where did the up dates go- to the new Windows or the Old?
I assumed that the programs installed would not run on the new system and would have to be re installed - but no - some dont but some do- Trojan Hunter for example came on through as the registered version, whilst others want re installing and re implanting the release code..
I have a Firewire external HDD dedicated to 'back up'- That is on the first installation Windows selected that drive for backup- but its contents are.... first version or new version?
At the end of it all I guess like a forest fire- disaster at the time- but looking at the stuff in programs installed and not used for a long time and else where- regenrration can be a good thing.
Fortunately the active documents[not already backed before the event] remain intact in my doc's/my pictures folder.
One last point I have been scratching around the'Old' file to try to located where Thuderbird and Firefox hide the mails ,my favourites ec.
any ideas where to look any one?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now