Getting the right resolution on my monitor

m.nutt1 08:47 05 Dec 05

Hi all

I have a 17" TFT and am trying to sort out the display. All the drivers and software are installed ok, but I'm getting a bit confused by the resolution.
All of the software keeps 'optimising' the display to 1280x1024. the screens razor sharp at this resolution but all the text and icons are tiny. I want to be able to view at 1024x768, but everything goes blurry/pixelated. Is there any way to sort this so that i don't have to squint to view my screen for the rest of my life?

Any ideas very much appreciated.

Many thanks
m.nutt1

Chegs ®™ 08:54 05 Dec 05

Right-Click Desktop/Settings/Advanced/General tab,alter the DPI Setting to 120% and restart the machine.Should make the icons/fonts a bit bigger.

Methedrine 09:49 05 Dec 05

Try this. I use this little program with my TFT monitor. It makes the text much clearer.

click here

DieSse 09:51 05 Dec 05

The reason the display wants to keep going to 1280x1024 is that ths is the *natve* resolution - where each pixel on the screen maps to each dot of resolution (ie there are actually 1280x1024 pixels manufactured into the screen.

Any other resolution is just a compromise - Chegs ®™ solution is probably the best.

Strangely, 19" monitors have the same native resolution as 17" monitors - which means that fonts and icons are naturally that much larger, and 19" is therefore a more satisfactory display all-round than 17".

Also - some monitors are better than ohers at coping with non-native resolutions.

Also try (if you've got XP) setting Clear-Type on - this can help too.

BRYNIT 10:42 05 Dec 05

If you are using Win XP

Right click desk top go to properties/appearance and change font to large or extra large this will increase the font under the icon.

To enlarge the icon click on effects and change to large icon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…