Getting Rid Of Windows Messenger

KrySTaL-KoDE 17:14 22 Feb 03

I'm starting to get annoyed with Windows Messenger, starting up every time I start Outlook Express. Even when I uncheck the "Run this program when Windows starts" box in Options -> Preferences, it insists on loading at startup and logging in when I start OE.

Is there a way to completely remove Windows Messenger from my system? Will removing Windows Messenger cause Outlook Express or any other programs to malfunction?

Please somebody do something!!

MAJ 17:22 22 Feb 03

You have to go to your "sysoc.inf" file and unhide Messenger, then delete it using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

MAJ 17:32 22 Feb 03

Go to C:/Windows/INF and locate the file SYSOC.INF. Double click the file to open it in Notepad. In the "Components" section, you will see:

Remove the "hide" part so that it looks like:

Save the changes and exit.

Then go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, choose Windows Components and it should be at the bottom, untick it to remove.

spikeychris 17:40 22 Feb 03

You can also go to run and paste the below.

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

You will have to make sure you are logged off the net and Outlook Express is closed.

Belatucadrus 13:18 23 Feb 03

spikeychris thanks for that, KrySTaL-KoDE isn't the only one glad to see the back of messenger.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…