Getting rid of unwanted (hidden!) program

spuds 18:13 26 Feb 08

The other day, I downloaded a trial/demo program called Defencegate Smartfix, and it didn't seem to want to work on my computer, so I uninstalled it. This is were the problem comes in. Checked Add/Remove on XP Home, and noted program was there. I then used the programs own uninstaller, and everything looked as though it had deleted from the system.

Turning on the computer today, and it appears as though the program is still on the computer, yet Add/Remove (and everything else except start-up!) seems to suggest the program is still lurking and partially activating itself.

Any suggestion of where to look next,or how to clear the program, would be appreciated.

skidzy 18:20 26 Feb 08

Hi Spuds,been a while.

Have you tried removing in safemode,you may have to reinstall the program.

Alternatively,you may have to take ownership of any files that will not uninstall click here

spuds 19:07 26 Feb 08

Hi skidzy, thanks for the prompt response. Will download the information from the link, and have a read later.

Regarding the program, it was from 'Giveaway for the day' so possibly no chance of a re-install unless I purchase a copy!.

Re "been a while". Not sure whether that means you or me. If me, I haven't been posting much lately.

skidzy 19:33 26 Feb 08

Maybe a reinstall if needed from here click here

" Been a while "
I meant that i have not seen you around much lately,sorry i should have explained better.

spuds 20:01 27 Feb 08

Going on-line today, the problem seems to have self corrected itself.

Will tick as resolved. Thanks again skidzy for the response to the problem raised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…