Getting rid of and/or stopping pop ups

LJM 09:45 14 Nov 05

My computer was recently infected by a virus, which was very efficiently dealt with using AVG Anti-Virus. However, ever since I have encountered a major problem with pop-ups. Prior to that I have no problem at all. This may be coincidental or not.

Despite using the pop-up blocker that comes with XP, the Yahoo toolbar, Spyware Doctor and Microsoft Anti-Spyware I am completely unable to stop them appearing.

If I look through my Internet Explorer history there are any number of websites listed that I have not visited.

I thought I may try doing a System Restore to a time before this problem was encountered, but I get the message that it was not possible to complete the restore operation.

Can anyone help or is it going to be best to re-format my HDD to get rid of whatever problem it is?

Thanks for your help on this one.

keewaa 09:51 14 Nov 05

Unfortunately the only way to be 100% sure of removing everything from a compromised PC is to reformat and reinstall. There may be a simple way of cleaning your PC, but being 100% sure is only through a fresh start. If you decide to do this make sure you understand the method for your PC as some come with restore partitions and press F10 to get into destructive recovery, some with restore discs, some with reinstall discs, and some with full versions of XP.

maveric 10:19 14 Nov 05

You could ask here click here

They always help me out, without having to format.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…