Getting rid of NortonAV

Diemmess 17:21 28 Feb 05

Grandson's IBM Thinkpad XP Pro installed has lost interest in the net though Demon still connects. Otherwise everything is behaving.
He lives 2 counties away and family travels conveyed this sorry laptop to me today.

I noticed Norton AV is 3 years out of date and am starting a very overdue cleanup. Have "unistalled" Norton and run CClean Spybot (twice) it is almost ready to chase the remnants of spyware and install AVG.

Search shows Norton Anti virus still in a Start menu, and NORTONAV as a folder in C:\IBMTOOLS\APPS
Can I delete both these File & folder now?

MIKE 17:44 28 Feb 05

I had a similar problem with Norton I wanted to remove all the odd remnants of Norton. I just could not get rid of everthing associated with Norton. With advice I received for PCA I downloaded regseeker. I did a search for NORTON deleted all occurences and then did a search for symantec and deleted that also. Problem solved.
Hope this solves your problem. Just make sure you tick the backup button on regseeker before you remove anything.

961 19:16 28 Feb 05

I once tried to get rid of Norton on a friend's computer but have to say it was a nightmare since it had entwined itself round the BIOS

I eventually managed it but easy? Not!

Try typing " getting rid of norton " into google and you'll get some good advice from those who have been there and done that

VoG II 19:19 28 Feb 05
  Diemmess 20:08 28 Feb 05

Thank you all.........I am treading carefully because no basic CDs came with the parcel and what is undone will not be reversible without hassel and delay.

Spybot found 35 of the notorious items and only IEHelper remains so far.... It seemed time to use the latest AVG but first I wanted to clear any sign of Norton.

When and only when I'm certain the computer is more or less pure again I'll load Zone Alarm which like AVG I am used to using. "Horses for courses" really, and "better the one you know."

Will tick this and hopefully add a happy note in a day or so!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…