Getting rid of a Keylogger

p;3 19:50 03 Jan 09

Apart from the usual of informing Banks etc of the likelihood of information having been stollen and changing passwords etc on a known clean computer; if a computer has a keylogger infection on it , the only sure fire remedy is to wipe the Drive , reformat and reinstall the OS from a known clean CD with licence key ??

OR if the computer is restored to factory conditions can that fulfil the same job?

I suspect the former is the remedy?

bluto1 19:55 03 Jan 09

click here

Try this, it's free

bluto1 20:09 03 Jan 09

Sorry about last one try this instead.
click here

p;3 20:10 03 Jan 09

the question really is, will a factory restoration wipe the Drive and restore the OS or is the wipe the Drive , reformat and reinstall the OS from the Computer CD the only sure fire way to ensure all traces of the infection are removed?

rdave13 20:19 03 Jan 09

Restoring to factory settings formats the drive as good as a reinstall I think. Wiping the drive will need the drivers disc and a copy of Windows which a PC with only a restore option won't have. Still good enough to remove a keylogger if appropriate security programs run prior to restore.

p;3 20:25 03 Jan 09

'Restoring to factory settings formats the drive as good as a reinstall I think. '
thats the question though, ?DOES it? if it leaves ANY info on there then it can be used for a reinfection ; if you completeLy wipe the Drive then that wipes ALL stuff off ; it is the factory restoration that I think does NOT completley wipe the Drive but merely goes back to the beginning which is NOT a Drive complete clean is it as you still have remnants OF the original OS there and possibly infected ?

rdave13 21:10 03 Jan 09

So you think that something like Kill Disc should be used first, then if you have the drivers disc and Windows disc a reformat and reinstall would then be a proper 'clean' install?
I suppose so. Seems a bit overkill to me though.

bluto1 21:24 03 Jan 09

click here - 13

I owe youan apology for wasting your time with the 2 links I left. I should have wxamined each one properly. The above link is free, if you wish to use it. I did and it cleared 2 loggers off my PC.

audeal 21:56 03 Jan 09

I never understand why it is necessary to register to download a Free program.

bluto1 22:16 03 Jan 09

It's most likely for market research, and some providers also follow up with free updates.

lotvic 22:34 03 Jan 09

"OR if the computer is restored to factory conditions can that fulfil the same job?"

Yes it does - at least it does on Dells - as the restore partition contains an image, usually made by Symantec™ Ghost / Acronis type of progs.

"Dell™ PC Restore by Symantec™ (for Microsoft® Windows® XP) and Dell Factory Image Restore (for Microsoft® Windows Vista®) exist on a hidden partition on your hard drive that contains an exact copy of your computer's original setup. These programs allow you to reset your computer's operating system and software to the original state in which it was shipped to you from Dell."

step 3 from Dell 'how to restore to factory settings' click here
"Notice:
Restoring the original factory image erases ALL existing data. This includes files, folders, programs, drivers, E-mails, photos. Before performing a PC Restore, back up all personal files. If you do not back up your personal files, the data will be lost."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…