getting rid of an inoculateIT device file

lozzer2 14:37 15 Nov 03

hello everyone-please bear with this post, as i'm trying not to miss out any info!
when i first went online, i thought it would be a good idea to get myself some kind of virus protection. the other half brought home from work a copy of InoculateIT, and put this on my computer. when i eventually went on to download an alternative program, i got him to take InoculateIT off. however, whatever he's done has left me with the following on start-up of my computer:

Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application
The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.
If you deleted this device file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated appliction using its uninstall or setup program
If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try installing that application to replace the missing file.
C:\PROGRA~1\INOCUL~1\VETMON9X.VXD
Press a key to continue

windows continues loading normally once a key is pressed
(and i'm going to show my complete lack of computer knowledge here by saying the squiggly bit actually appears to be displayed at the top of the letter, but i don't know how to get it!!!)
what i would like to know is, how do i get rid of this file reference so that windows will load unimpeded? i cannot get hold of the original program any more, so i cannot reload it and use any uninstall program that the software itself has. many thanks!

Diodorus Siculus 15:59 15 Nov 03

Are you on Win98?

Get a registry cleaner such as the one from MS or the one at ToniArts click here

Or, if you feel brave, try using notepad and open c:\windows\system.ini and edit out the reference to the missing file.

lozzer2 09:05 16 Nov 03

thanx, i'll try the registry cleaner...i'm not brave! i'll put my hand up to knowing very little about the fundamental workings of a computer, so i'm probably going to ask something silly here- i'm running 98 SE, does that make any difference?

Diodorus Siculus 11:43 16 Nov 03

Having 98SE means that what I have said above will be ok. The registry cleaner should do the trick; otherwise make a copy of system.ini, edit out any mentions of inoculateIT from the original, and see if all goes well. If there are any problems (which I cannot see there being) restore the backup and all will be fine.

lozzer2 18:22 16 Nov 03

hi
i downloaded the registry cleaner, and ran a registry scan. it picked up 126 'dead' ends, at least 4 of which i immediately recognised as being references to InoculateIT. i deleted these, but the program does not appear to have picked up the file reference which is stopping Windows and so i'm still stuck with the same problem. unless you can see that i'm missing something, i'll try the other method. i looked through the list of files several times, and could see nothing which matched exactly that file which i mentioned in my first post. i also went through the help manual several times, and could not see how to refine my registry search so that the offending file would be picked up.

lozzer2 19:58 17 Nov 03

ermmm...sorry to be a nuisance, but how EXACTLY do i back up my registry (idiot guide!)? the other half, who's the closest i'd previosly come to a computer expert, doesn't know how and won't even touch the registry with a bargepole! i dont want to muck about any more with it before i know i can restore it if i do something wrong....
thanks for telling me about the cleaner, though. registry aside, i've already managed to clear 13Mb of rubbish from my machine! :-)

Diodorus Siculus 23:40 17 Nov 03

click here for how to backup the registry.

Another option is to start in dos mode and at the C:\ type

scanreg /opt

which optimises the registry

or

scanreg /fix

which will fix any problem with the regisry.

Editing the system.ini file is easy enough though - copy it to a safe place and open the original with a text editor.

lozzer2 21:26 18 Nov 03

many thanks for your time, Diodorus. may be a couple of days now before i can really sink my teeth into this. will let everyone know how i get on- just so fellow idiots know what to do in the some situation! :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017