getting rid of Freeserve in Windows ME

eddiejackr 18:41 20 Oct 06

I have been given a 5 year old e machine with Win ME OS and Freeserve pre-installed for dial up internet access.
I have reformatted the hard drive back to factory settings, then installed an ethernet card so that I can connect to my home network. How do I remove Freeserve altogether?

Jackcoms 18:48 20 Oct 06

Surely, if you've reformatted the HDD, Freeserve (and everything else) has now 'gone' ?

eddiejackr 19:51 20 Oct 06

i think i'm using the wrong jargon! I have probably restored to factory settings.....

Jackcoms 21:11 20 Oct 06

Not familiar with ME but I'll assume it has some sort of Add or Remove Programs options.

You may be able to un-install Freeserve through there.

Alternatively, look in Network Connections (or whatever it's called in ME) and you should see a Freeserve dial-up connection in there.

Delete it.

Strawballs 21:40 20 Oct 06

uninstall it from add remove programs and then download this click here and delete all entries with freeserve.

Graham. 18:50 22 Oct 06

Is it something like 'Internet Explorer by Freeserve' that you want to get rid?

jakimo 01:52 28 Oct 06

Try looking for a folder or file named "orange"since taking over freeserve,orange auto changed some file names

eddiejackr 11:54 31 Oct 06

thanks to all - I'm getting there. Graham - yes this is the only remaining thing that I cannot get rid of - plus a small FS logo on the toolbar below this. Do you know how to remove?

Graham. 12:11 31 Oct 06

Start, Run, regedit, OK. Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main. Double click on Window Title and call it something else.

The logo may be a Link. You should be able to right click on it and select Delete.

Graham. 12:13 31 Oct 06

You may want to Export the Registry first, from the File menu.

eddiejackr 12:28 31 Oct 06

thanks - that worked although didn't understand the export bit - so will i have caused problems?

Still have the little flashing logo - tried right click but no option to delete. Any more ideas?

Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced