Getting rid of download.trojan

I have a problem.

My PC has aquired something that causes my up-to-date Norton Anti-Virus software to kick into action and tell me that it has detetcted download.trojan and it has been eliminated.

I followed the instructions on the Symantec site about turning off system restore, running NAV, and the switching System Restore back on.

All to no avail. I have an ADSL connection, so I routinely leave the PC online for hours. It's not unusual to come back to find 10 or more pop-up windows from NAV telling me that it has detected this download.trojan and deleted it.

I have run NAV several times to see if anything can be detected and it always comes back to tell me that no viruses have been found.

In addition I have run my (licenced) copy of AdAware and my cover-disk copy of SpyBot and deleted anything they turn up.

My question is simple. Can anyone tell me what file might be causing this trojan/virus to load? Where could it be lurking? And how, just how, do I kill it stone dead?

MichelleC 09:33 30 Nov 04

It's an idea to do an online scan at Trend Micro with Housecall, as some viruses can disable onboard av's. I'd suggest also getting Spyware Blaster. Also Kerio is a good free firewall.

curlylad 09:43 30 Nov 04

Hows it hanging there?

Any way back to your problem , I would download and run this program a² free click here
If this doesn't shift it , get back and we will sort it some other way.

curlylad 09:55 30 Nov 04

According to the Symantec site , your NAV should be able to get rid of this .

Have you Updated via the LiveUpdate button lately ? Open your Symantec program , click the LiveUpdate button , follow instructions , and download all available updates.Restart your PC if asked to do so , run LiveUpdate again until you see the message that says something like 'All programs are now updated.

When you have done this , turn off system restore and run your NAV again.When it has finished and hopefully removed the nasty , run it again to be sure and dont forget to turn system restore back on.

NAV *does* delete the download.trojan.

My NAV files *are* up to date as I wrote in my initial enquiry.

I have already followed all the instructions from Symantec TWICE and still I'm being plagued by the problem. I can only assume that there is *something* lurking on my hard rive that tries to install/downlaod the download.trojan.

computernerdiamnot 18:39 30 Nov 04

on internet explorer goto to tools,internet options and then delete files that should cure your problem.

gudgulf 18:42 30 Nov 04

Give MWAV.exe a try from Microworld click here

Make sure you use Spybot's immunise function and download SpywareBlaster click here both of which will help prevent reinfection.

OK.

I used MWAV.exe as above and it seemed to find loads of odd files. It deleted some, but some I had to get at through Windows Explorer and manually delete.

Problem was that my PC then became very unstable and kept freezing. So I had to restore it to the state it was in before I began all the deleting. My problem is that I'm not sure if I should have deleted 'infected' .exe files or not.

How come this s/ware found loads of things that NAV, AdAware & SpyBot didn't?

Dan the Confused 08:46 01 Dec 04

If you have XP/2000 you could try Ewido (free) click here

Also check your startup entries and remove any bad ones, Startup Inspector click here

Have you noticed this virus affecting your system in any way (other than from just keep coming back)?

gudgulf 13:18 01 Dec 04

MWav.exe is extremely good at finding things that others miss .I usually just let it delete the files it automatically deals with,any that are tagged as "not a virus" and/or not deleted may well be parts of other programs that need that element to work.

Run it again and leave anything it doesn't automatically remove.See if that shifts your problem.You can always restore back again if you get any more instability.

Also consider the 15day trial of Giant antispyware click here

computernerdiamnot 16:30 01 Dec 04

I had the same problem and did what i posted earlier on have you tried that.....i was advised to do that by f-secure tech help when my anti virus picked it up and when i tried to clean it would not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac