//some 3rd party need geo

Getting Rid Of Cookies

Estel 17:33 21 Sep 03

My Temp Internet Files folder is full of thousands of cookies - about three years of browsing's worth.

99% of them are just useless clutter or may even be telling unknown people things I don't want them to know. A few dozen will contain my username links to sites I use more or less regularly. It would seem vital to keep those.

Many of them have names that don't give much clue as to which website they refer to. Is there any way of weeding out those that I need so that I can delete all the rest? Alternatively, would any of them contain information that I really couldn't replace - the one for my internet bank, for instance?

Estel

Valvegrid 17:53 21 Sep 03

I usually clear mine out as soon as I've finished. I think the only problem you will encounter is if you enter a web site that you have asked to remember your sign-in details, these will be lost. Personally I think it's worth clearing them every so often.

Paul.

In windows explorer, I would be tempted to click on your cookie folder and then get your files in date order by clicking on the grey area at the top of the list, try the 'modified' area. With the newest files at the top - if they're the oldest, click again to reverse the list - scroll down until you are happy that the files below do not contain any important sites (ie, you visited your bank last week so anything older doesn't matter), highlight a file, scroll to the oldest file at the bottom, and, whilst holding down the shift key, click that one. With all the 'old' cookies highlighted, right click on one and choose delete. Make sure that the 'index' file is not included as this cannot be deleted. If it is, hold down the ctrl key and left click to de-select.

Hope this helps j

Djohn 17:56 21 Sep 03

Yes, the cookies will contain info. such as passwords. If you can remember your important ones, like to this site and your bank etc. Then just delete the lot, and log back into your favourite sites, enter your Username/Password again and from then on keep a note of new ones added and delete all except the ones you wish to keep. j.

Proxy worm 18:10 21 Sep 03

if you remember them, then delete it because its no use after that

Estel 16:40 23 Sep 03

Thanks for your replies. I'll try your scheme, Sci-fi-fan.

Jester2K II 16:42 23 Sep 03

Supercleaner click here has the facility to clean up loads of surfing tracks but also selectively keep cookies and clean the rest. Amongst other things...

Free 30 day trial

graham√ 17:31 23 Sep 03

You can't beat Cookie Wall click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…