Getting Rid of: ADS / POP-UPS etc

MIKE0007 13:37 12 Feb 08

Sorry to bother you with a basic question, but I'm getting lots of what my neighbour calls POP-UPS / ADs etc.
He says that there are some great, free, programs to stop this, & suggests that I ask here for help.
As you will gather I have never used such an item before so don't know what to look for or what to consider when comparing different progs.
I am running XP Home with 768mb RAM.
many thanks - Mike

johndrew 14:05 12 Feb 08

Which browser are you using?

If you use Firefox I would suggest Adblock click here or Adblock Plus click here and you might like the filterset as well click here

I should add that Adblock is no longer in development but still works click here

VoG II 14:39 12 Feb 08

I would suggest a Hosts file click here

woodchip 14:41 12 Feb 08

As above Hosts is a good place to start, you can also set you Internet Explorer Browser to stop Add's and Pop-ups

5starred 18:13 12 Feb 08

You could download Google toolbar which has a built in pop up blocker.

MIKE0007 10:46 17 Feb 08

Thanks folks,
Have been looking at the 'Hosts' page, but am unsure of exactly what it does or how to use it !

I assumed that there was a simple program like AVG etc, that I could just download & leave it to run !?

I use I.E and only do basic stuff on the machine.

If the Hosts file still seems my best solution, I'd better give it a whirl.
Is it easy to set up,,,, or can I get help from these pages if necessary ?

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…