Getting really annoying static in sound output

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 14:41 02 Feb 10

Hi folks.

I really cannot seem to be able to work this one out...

When I'm playing music or audio that I've recorded etc, I get a bits of static here and there.
I have on board sound card, a Delta audiophile card and an external USB sound card and it seems to do it on all of them and I've tried 2 different sets of speakers and headphones. Odd thing is, it will record files without any static at all. I tried some recorded samples on a Mac today, and they were fine.

Any suggestions?

I'd be really grateful, thanks!

Seth Haniel 15:06 02 Feb 10

had similar problem with constant noise from speakers - I double clicked master volume in system tray and muted CD Player - that solved it

worth a try

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 15:18 02 Feb 10

Tried what you kindly suggested, still has the same problem.

I was sure it wouldn't fix the problem as I get static on Ubuntu, Windows 7 and XP but thanks all the same, budd.

I think it's got to be a hardware issue. I'm going to point the blame at the PSU or the motherboard. Before I start ripping my computer parts out, I'll see if anyone has anything else to say.

Cheers.

Seth Haniel 15:42 02 Feb 10

form the power that supplies it - forget which one does it now - but DC or AC adaptor - one causes interference

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 16:15 02 Feb 10

gives me the same results. I had some active speakers a little while back which gave me a AC hum, that was fixed with a bit of grounding. Unfortunately, I don't think this is a grounding issue, I wish it was!

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 19:48 06 Feb 10

Hi Seth

I finally figured out the cause of the problem.

Turns out the onboard sound was the culprit. Even though I had disabled the device in Windows, I still got the clicks, but since disabling the sound card in BIOS the problem has gone away and I get a fantastic recording and playback quality.

In hindsight, I should have tried this as one of the first things, as I did expect it to be the motherboard at fault as I had ruled out most other things. It's a problem I can live with and I won't bother spending £40 on a new mobo.

Cheers for your suggestions old bud!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…