Getting photos onto DVD writer -help!

spider9 09:38 21 Mar 05

Just got new Gericom external DVD writer and have successfully made & burned some home video to DVD.
Decided that I would like to put my collection of digital snaps onto disk for backup purposes.

If I try to take the files and use the 'copy' function (XP Home) and send to the DVD drive, I get the message "H/not accessible" (H is the DVD writer).

My question is, am I doing something daft? Can I backup files to my DVD write? Is it too early in the morning for me?? Help.

strech 09:50 21 Mar 05

what copying software are you using

GroupFC 09:54 21 Mar 05

It sounds as if you are trying to use XP's own s/ware. I don't think this will work because the "packet-writting" in built into XP doesn't support DVD.

You will need to use some other burning s/ware such as Nero or similar.

spider9 09:57 21 Mar 05

Yes, guys, I was trying to use XP's and will now install and try Nero. Thanks, will let you know.

spider9 10:48 21 Mar 05

Have now installed Nero, but not able to do what I want! (Slow/senile or what?)

My need is to take files of digi photos, held at present on a CD, and put them onto a DVD-R disc.

Anyone explain the method, please? In simple terms for a simple man!!

This isn't really the answer you want but in the meantime why not add the photos to a "DVD film" using your film software, just as a selection of stills, you could add some dreadful background music as well then :)

TomJerry 10:58 21 Mar 05
  SANTOS7 11:07 21 Mar 05

Copy photo's to folder on HDD then highlight folder under file and folder tasks "copy this folder" and select destination, re. DVD drive.

spider9 11:26 21 Mar 05

Thanks, folks, I have been putting some slides into video clips (with music!!), but what I really was hoping for was a means to save them as folders in the same way as on my CDs. When I got the DVD writer I thought it would be perfect with all the extra GB's available for storage. I seem to be wrong - expensive mistake, should have stuck with old CD writer.

Santos7 - tried that already - get message "drive not accessible".

Rigga 11:30 21 Mar 05

The easiest way, if you have enough space on your HDD, Copy all of the photo's you wish to put on the DVD.

Then start Nero, and choose, Data DVD, then Add all of the photo's from the folder/s on your HDD.

Then choose burn.

This will give you a DVD backup or your photo's.

HTH. R.

Rigga 11:34 21 Mar 05

hmmm.. not sure that made 100% sense :)

Step1, Copy all of the photo's you wish to put on one DVD, from your CD's into your HDD.
Step2, Start Nero, and choose to create a Data DVD.
Step3, Choose to Add files, and add the folder/s that you have just copied onto you HDD.
Stpe4, Burn the DVD.

Viola!

You are not wrong, DVD's can be used exactly like CD's but with more space.

HTH R.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…