Getting "out of memory" using WinXP

Glyn-252301 18:28 09 Nov 07

I get the message "out of memory" when trying to access the Graphic Equalizer in Creative Media.
Adjusting the file cache does not work as it used to in win98. Have all the updates from Creative in place XP is up to date, so at a loss, could not find anything of help on Google.

Regards to All.

Joe R 18:33 09 Nov 07

youknowim,

how much ram do you have installed, and what size is your pagefile.?

Glyn-252301 18:41 09 Nov 07

Hi Joe R, thanks for response.

There is 2Gb ram of which 75% is reported free.

Pagefile sys2 reports 145,386,496.

Glyn-252301 18:44 09 Nov 07

Just been called for dinner back in 30 minutes.

Joe R 18:49 09 Nov 07

2Gb ram should be plenty for XP, check your pagefile by going to Control panel-system-advanced-performance and click on settings.

Change the size of the virtual memory, by clicking on custom size and setting both initial and maximum size to 2048Mb, then reboot your P.C.

This hopefully should solve your problem.

woodchip 18:49 09 Nov 07

You need to use a startup control program to stop lots of programs that start at boot that does not need to run. You can use MSCONFIG from Run then Startup Tab but a program would be easier to use.

Bottom of the list

click here

Glyn-252301 19:55 09 Nov 07

Thanks for inputs, I use tweakall to inform me of
running programs, trouble is when it comes to Creative its hard to assess just what is nessessary or not. Will try all suggestions, thank you for your help.

Glyn-252301 21:14 09 Nov 07

I set virtual memory as you advised Joe R and downloaded and installed Startup Control Center,
nice little program woodchip. Managed to reduce
running apps to an minimum. After rebooting was dismayed to find problem still there. Some thing I forgot to mention was that when I clicked on the OK on the out of memory box, another box opened headed "Equalizer" with a strange message "TODO:Place dialog controls here"
Just as I have typed, I don't have a clue what that means.

woodchip 22:29 09 Nov 07

Have you rebooted after making changes? then try it

Glyn-252301 23:29 09 Nov 07

Yes I did reboot, think I will try uninstalling offending software and reinstall, dont look forward to that as will have to update every program within Creative and there are loads of small programs that have various connections to other programs within windows. Thanks for your help woodchip.

Regards Glyn.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…