getting online

sudoman 17:34 19 Jun 09

i have a spare desktop pc.one of my daughters wants to use it.i have reinstalled windows on it i installed drivers on it.the problem is can`t get online device manager says network driver working ok.but internet connection icon says little or no connection.all other computers working ok.i even connected it up where main computer is no joy but main computer works fine when connected there.any ideas i going wrong.

baldydave 17:53 19 Jun 09

Hi,
Try this setting also check firewall,
in xp go to start/control panel/network connections/right click the wired(ethernet) icon/properties/click on tcp/ip then properties and make sure obtain ip address automatically is selected also obtain dns automatically.
If trying wirelessly please post back

dunc1234 18:05 19 Jun 09

double check that no one has tried to set the ip settings manually, double click on the network icon.
click the support tab, ensure the ip address begings with 192 if it starts with 169 its not getting a proper address from the router.
click the general tab click properties, scroll down to internet protocol, click on that to highlight and click the properties button, ensure all options are set to automatic.

next try clicking start/run and type in cmd
in the black window that opens type in
ipconfig /release that will remove the ip address. now type in ipconfig /renew .that will try and allocate a new address.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…