//some 3rd party need geo

Getting noticed by search engines

Joe Wood 20:26 26 Sep 04

Hi

I've got a website that I want people to be able to find through google and other well known search engines. I've got meta tags but they don't seem to make much difference :-(

How can I do it?!

Joe

Joe Wood 20:28 26 Sep 04

P.S. I don't mind paying to get registered with search engines!

Jack25 20:38 26 Sep 04
  spuds 23:09 26 Sep 04
  number21online 21:02 08 Oct 04

Never, ever, pay for inclusion on the major search engines. I have been quite successful getting good ratings for my web site on Google, Alta Vista, Yahoo and Ask Jeeves. Try this:-

Meta description - must accurately describe what your website is about and keep it short.

Meta keywords - should be words that appear on your index page, you only submit your index page, search engines will find the rest from there. Don't forget to use plurals as well. i.e. webcam and webcams also web cam and web cams. Again do not over do it only use words that relate to your web site content.

Index page title - it took me a long time to realise this one, use a title that describes your web site. i.e. don't use index or page 1 or my web page,. Use something like Our Garden Pond or Classic Motorbikes etc., etc.

Submit to Google, its free. Submit to Yahoo its free but you have to register, painless but time consuming. Submit to Alta Vista,its free. You can not submit to Ask Jeeves any more but my web site appeared within three weeks. Do not ever do multiple submissions, if your website has not appeared after about six weeks then you can re-submit. Be realistic, if your web site appears on page one - great, if its on page three or four thats still good. If its on page ten or lower then rethink your meta description/keywords etc.

If you follow these simple rules You should be more successful, good luck.

party-time 22:01 08 Oct 04

>> Submit to Google, its free. Submit to Yahoo its free but you have to register, painless but time consuming. Submit to Alta Vista,its free...

With respect, it is not so much the submissions but the incoming links that get you indexed by Google and Yahoo.

Joe Wood, there are indeed a lot of resources online advising you on how to rank well with search engines. Apart from the obvious like meta tags the two most important things are incoming links and a reason for people to visit you. The more good content/useful downloads/interesting discussions etc that you host on your site the more chance you have of other webmasters giving you unsolicited links. Those links, and other links that you develop, are what will get the Google and Yahoo algos to respect your site and offer it to their users.

I have several sites that rank #1 in Google for very, very competitive terms and, trust me, it's a piece of cake. You'll come across terms like keyword density, anchor text, page optimization (sic) etc. But, if you don't want results yesterday, and you are willing to take a longer term view, you'll be stunned by how the simple formula of one or two good links and LOTS of quality content will get you tops in Google.

BTW, there's already some talk of Google discounting meta tags and some evidence that pages without titles or ANY meta tags rank better in Google than equivalent pages with all the SEO behind them.

Search engines keep changing what they look for, it may be meta tags one week, keyword density the next, and anchor text the week after. But one thing is ALWAYS constant - they want quality content. Stick with that and you can't go wrong.

number21online 09:28 09 Oct 04

Yes, it is free to submit sites. Whats wrong with that?

With all due respect party-time, by your own admission there is no need to pay a third pary to submit a web site and I quote:-

'Apart from the obvious like meta tags the two most important things are incoming links and a reason for people to visit you. The more good content/useful downloads/interesting discussions etc that you host on your site the more chance you have of other webmasters giving you unsolicited links. Those links, and other links that you develop, are what will get the Google and Yahoo algos to respect your site and offer it to their users.'

Paying to have your site submitted will not improve the quality of the content and I stand by the advise that I offered Joe Wood that by choosing keywords, description and title carefully using the free service provided by search engines is still a valid way to get listed and its cheaper that any 'very competitive terms'.

number21online 14:31 09 Oct 04

Only party-time can answer that question. My reply to party-time was based around the opening line where without doubt the reference is to cost.

It's up to the website author how they promote their site, either you pay or you don't, if the content isn't good it will make no difference to the rating you achieve.

I will not be replying further on this topic.
Best wishes Joe however you choose to submit your web pages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…