Getting to normal mode from safe mode

resonator 23:53 16 Oct 03

I am using WindowsME and my system has been restarting in safe mode every day since it crashed on Sunday. On previous crashes, and restarting in safe mode, I hav usually been offered a selection screen to select, safe, normal etc., but not this time. Does anyone know how to bring up that screen or how to get to normal mode? Thanks.

Djohn 23:58 16 Oct 03

Reboot and keep tapping the F8 key at the same time. This should take you to the options screen. But as to why you are not being offered this, I'm not sure. j.

powerless 00:05 17 Oct 03

Start, run, type:

msconfig

Click ok.

Then click STARTUP, then click advanced, if there is a tick next to "Enable Startup Menu", then remove the tick.

Click ok and restart.

Lozzy 00:07 17 Oct 03

My suggestion would be re-install win ME over the top of the existing Windows and that will put any corruptions right. You will not loose any data.. However, it is always a good idea to back up first just in case..

resonator 21:15 18 Oct 03

Thanks Djohn, F8 does take me to the options screen, but on selecting 1 for normal, I end up in safe mode again or what has all the appearances of safe mode i.e. washed out and virtually colourless screensaver and less detail on screen.

Thanks Powerless, there was no tick next to "Enable Startup Menu" to remove.

Thanks Lozzy. I will try to avoid re-installing Me for as long as possible and await any further resolution responses.

pete-290318 21:29 18 Oct 03

are you sure its starting in safemode or have you lost your display settings?
Do you know the cause of your initial crash?
Could it possibly have been something to do with your graphics card or display settings.
Iys worth checking the settings and the display drivers and let us know what happens

u2 21:33 18 Oct 03

Can you use the startup floppy and go in to scanreg\restore in dos? .

resonator 23:04 20 Oct 03

Thanks u2 and Pete77. No I am not 100% sure I am in safe mode, in fact the more suggestions I receive from this forum and elsewhere, lead me to believe that I am in normal mode but the screen just looks like it is in safe mode because the display driver is Kaput or as you suggest there is something wrong with the graphics card. I have checked my settings and they are OK.

Djohn 23:11 20 Oct 03

You say your settings are OK. Can you please tell us the size of your monitor, and what do the settings say in your display window, both for the monitor and the graphic card?

resonator 00:12 23 Oct 03

Thanks Djohn. Following your suggestion I checked my monitor settings and find that they have been reset, presumably to a default of 16 colours and 640 x 480 pixels instead of what I had previously set, i.e. 256 colours and 1024 x 768 pixels. I am assuming again that the display driver cannot display my settings because it is not working properly. I do not know how to check graphics card settings as they were not mentioned on any of the screens under "Properties" > "Settings".
The computer attends later today for what I hope is only minor surgery. I will post the outcome so others may learn something

Djohn 00:32 23 Oct 03

Your welcome. You could have a look back under properties. The same place you looked for your monitor settings, the graphic card may be listed as the adaptor tab. This will give you the information regarding the card. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…