getting a new PC tomrow need advice ASAP

HUYI1 00:28 10 Feb 10

it's a £400 pc and it is has installed windows 7 on it, the model number is Compaq Presario CQ5226uk-m i cannot find anything about this pc anywhere on google, i want to be able to install a windows xp partition on this pc for older programs, is it possible? also the pc comes pre installed with windows 7 is there any way i can get a backup of the OS on cd incase i have to reinstall in case of a virus attack or am i stuffed?

also i want to play fallout 3 on this pc, will the pc handle this game well or not?

any other advice you can give me will be helpful too.

Strawballs 00:45 10 Feb 10

The best thing for backup is a program called Acronis true image, it will take an image of you system so you can re-install exactly as when the image was taken that incudes all programs etc.

JohnWilliams 00:47 10 Feb 10

There's loads of stuff on Google.
Don't know why you'd want to put an xp partition on it as windows 7 should run everything no problem.
It should come with a backup partition to restore it to factory defaults if needed.
And the graphics (GMA X4500HD) aren't up to much. You might want to invest in a dedicated card.

HUYI1 01:04 10 Feb 10

i have some old programs that may not work in windows 7 so i am considering installing a separate partition for windows xp, i have just found out that Windows Virtual PC doesn't work on home premium so thats is not a option anymore :(

using that Acronis true image program won't work as the older programs won't work with windows 7?

programs i have installed on my current pc include:

any dvd
utorrent
ccleaner
clonedvd2
corel paint shop pro X
divx
flash fxp
itunes
divx web player
img burn
kaspersky 2010
media center 13
firefox and opera
media go
super video converter
ai roboform
adbobe player
win rar
active desktop calendar
ashampoo burning studio
nokia drivers for my mobile phone and sony ericsson.
plus other misc stuff, will this stuff work ok in windows 7?

JohnWilliams 01:18 10 Feb 10

All the programs you mention will work perfectly on Win 7.

birdface 10:34 10 Feb 10

click here

Not sure if this is the one.But if a 64 bit with only 2 Gb of memory I would imagine it may be a bit slow and not nearly enough memory.

HUYI1 12:11 10 Feb 10

well it is only going to be used for basic browsing, burning of files and stuff like that, i won't be using it for gaming or anything, after all that is what consoles are for lol :)

today i had a look at another pc it's the Aspire X1301

i have heard a lot about acer laptops so i don't want to take the risk with a pc that will break down in a month :( the specs are better than the Compaq but is it worth it?

i have reserved the Compaq, i will be picking it up in a couple of hours hopefully, it's hard to find stock, i can't order it online anywhere as i have to go instore and get it instead.

HUYI1 12:12 10 Feb 10

btw, thanks for the recovery disc link, will bookmark it.

GaT7 12:53 10 Feb 10

HUYI1, if you don't mind me asking, why are you in such a hurry to buy one? G

JohnWilliams 13:29 10 Feb 10

I'd stick with the Compaq.

Kevin-1416101 13:42 10 Feb 10

Just check this link--> click here i had gone through it, i think that will also help you for future reference as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced