Getting a new pc - advice please

Bennythejet 11:53 31 Mar 03

Hi all,
A few months back I got on this board and asked questions with regard to getting a new pc. Unfortunatley I couldn't go ahead at the time due to budget problems, but have now got the cash again. I am looking for advice on what to do. I am looking to get a new pc either by buying a package or building my own, as a mate of mine can do all the work for me! (I am hopeless with building pc's). I have upgraded my current pc over time, so don't need a monitor, printer, speakers etc. I am just looking for a fast computer. I will mainly be using the computer for art packages, desktop publishing and Championship manager 4, though the odd game of Unreal Tournament 2 would be nice as well. Ideally I do not want to spend much more than £500. Though if this is not possible then the Credit Card might take a bit more. Anyone have any ideas? Bit vague I know, but I don't know what info to put in here so just ask me if you need to know more specifics.

Aspman 12:28 31 Mar 03

I doubt you would save money buy building your own, I recently build a modest systems for a work collegue and it was almost exactly the same price as similar offerings from Dell & Evesham. You would probably have trouble buying a PC without a monitor from Dell but most other companies let you remove it from the basket.

By building your own you arguable get better parts within your machine because you are specifying everything to your exact needs. Also remember that some PC manufacturers (i.e. Dell) produce their own motherboards and cases that cannot be reused or upgraded.

Also remember you would need to buy an OS software licence if you build your own machine. That can add a significant amont to the cost of your build.

Saying that your budget would allow you to build or buy a very reasonable all round machine with no problems.

I would personally go for the self build option but try to do as much of it yourself as you can, possibly with help from your friend but you might as well treat it as a learning experience.

xtreme_computing 12:35 31 Mar 03

if you can manage £799.99 then go for this machine from aldi, it is absolutley amazing, it's got everything except a monitor, but for the price they are asking for the all singing and dancing is well worth it.

click here

vaughan007 12:38 31 Mar 03

xtreme_computing has just given you the best advice. Get yourself down to Aldi....you will not find a better PC for this amount of money.

AND

This PC is easily good enough to keep you going for a few years, even for games.

Bennythejet 12:51 31 Mar 03

Cheers guys, the PC from Aldi does look very good. Just a couple of questions.

I click on the link above and it gives me the picture of the machine with whtat extras there are, but it doesn't actually give the specs of the machine. How can I see the specs?

Are Aldi a good company to buy from? Will I get decent service from them if/when things go wrong?

Thanks

Paranoid Android 12:51 31 Mar 03

You say you have upgraded your current PC. How much of your current PC can you re-use ? HDD ? CDROM ? Case ? PSU ? Sound Card ? Graphics Card ? Cables ? Floppy Disk ?

If all you need is a mobo, processor and RAM (core system), and if your mate can do the work for you, your target can be easily achieved.

Marvin.

Bennythejet 13:13 31 Mar 03

Cheers Marvin, I could use my cd-rw, soundcard, monitor and possibly my graphics card (it's a geforce 32 MB one. The rest needs to be replaced. I am currently running a p3 500mhz. I have 512mb of Ram in there but the motherboard is only recognising 400 of it,hence the reason I want to upgrade. I will need a new mobo, processor, ram, heat sink/fan thingy and a case. The rest I have got. Though of course I will need to check if my soundcard and graphics card will work with the new set-up.

vaughan007 13:36 31 Mar 03

click here

go here...tells you everything you will need to know about Aldi PC's.

I recommend you buy one if you can get the money together. These offers from Aldi only generally come around once a year or so and are never beated by anyone else.

Be warned though. If you do decide to get one get down to Aldi nice and early otherwise they will sell out.

Paranoid Android 13:45 31 Mar 03

No problem. Check out Ebuyer.com and dabs.com and see what you can find. Get your mate to help you, if he's going to assemble the system for you he should have some input in the choice of components.

You don't say what sort of spec you are after, but for a very cost effective example :

Asus A7N266-VM-L Ebuyer code 34910 £ 50.67 incl vat Onboard Geforce graphics, LAN, 5.1 sound, plus AGP slot

Athlon XP1800+ cpu boxed with AMD HS & fan Ebuyer code 46309 £ 56.91 incl vat

512Mb PC2100 SDRAM Ebuyer code 26878 £ 45.24 incl vat.

(Optional) Inno3D Tornado Geforce4 Ti4200 64Mb TVO Ebuyer code 46137 £ 95.46 incl vat (10 days wait, but also available from Dabs.com Dabsvalue code 2B3FWS £ 100)

Cases - Ebuyer have various for under £20 incl vat with 300W PSU.

Total around £ 270 plus carriage.

Marvin

xtreme_computing 13:45 31 Mar 03

it was only last week aldi was doing a special offer on a air compressor very good value, and i got there at 8:30 am 30 minutes before it opened and there was a cue outside.when the doors opened everyone rushed in with their trolleys (which i didn't have) and started banging into each other, there were plants knocked over, water spilt and they were all aiming for the air compressors and the accessory kit..i dodged in between the trolleys and got myself one, and in the cue there were these to gentlemen, one which was about 70 years old and the other was about 50, the 50 year old nudged into the 70 year old so the 70 year old turned around and said nudge me one more time and i'll fist ya.so they went off at it..quite funny!

but as the story says, get there early and be ready for some action..

SMB Systems 13:57 31 Mar 03

WITHOUT A DOUBT BUY THE PARTS AND BUILD YOUR OWN YOU WILL GET A SYSTEM EXACTLY AS YOU WANT MILES BETTER SPEC AND STILL HAVE TONS OF CASH IN YOUR POCKET, ALDI CAN STICK IT £799 WITH NO DEFINITE SPEC OF MACHINE AND A FEW GIMMICS TO SELL IT TO YOU. BUILD YOUR OWN, ITS ABOUT TIME PEOPLE REALISED HOW MUCH YOU CAN SAVE BUILDING YOUR OWN. I AGREE 300% WITH PARANOID ANDROID. ALSO TRY

click here

OR

click here

BOTH ARE RELATIVELY GOOD WITH COMPONENT PRICES.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…