Getting New Graphics Card.

Irfman 12:06 19 Apr 04

Hey, goto this link click here
Im thinking of getting this graphics card because of the cost and specs. But Do I have to change something of the inside of my PC, Maybe the Motherboard. If so can you tell me please.

AndySD 12:34 19 Apr 04

Without knowing the make/model of your Motherboard and your cpu its difficult to say. Can you give us more detail please.

TomJerry 12:39 19 Apr 04

for slightly more, get a ATI 9600 card. If you get the one you mention, you probably want to upgrade in a few weeks.

Ironman556 13:52 19 Apr 04

From what I've heard of these cards it's not worth the money, the older GeForce Ti4200 are meant to perform better than these. The FX cards were noisy, they may be quieter now, but I know someone who got a 5400 FX when they came out and they say it sounds like a helicopter taking off.

I have a Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB. If you can push your budget slightly higher then this is definately the one I'd go for. There's some good prices for it on ebuyer. To give you an idea of what it can do, I bought Unreal Tournament 2004, installed it, set all graphics details to highest and the resolution to 1152*864, and played with no problems. The same applies for almost all other games as well. Looks good playing DVD and you have all the inputs/outpus you'll want.

inneedofhelp 14:57 19 Apr 04

i have to agree with the above. If you can for a radeon 9600. I recently did a lot of 'homework' and yesterday bought a radeon 9800xt. The radeon cards almost always outperform its countpart and if you can strech your budget, then the 96 will last you well. My friend has one and can just run fltsim2004 on MAX settings(this is no mean feat!)Mind u this was after overclocking a wee bit.

Irfman 16:35 19 Apr 04

so this card aint worth getting. I just needed a card which can play games and connect to a TV. So ill have to go for the Sapphire or 9600.

Secret Simile 17:00 19 Apr 04

Just to underline what's been said above really... I've had a GF4 Ti4200 128Mb for about 18 months and it's still great - I thought about replacing it recently but it still runs at mental frame rates and quality, and I'm playing Need For Speed Underground a lot right now (not some old and low-graphics game) so lots of flashing light, spray coming off the road, reflections on bodywork, etc...

Also, it's pretty quiet (i keep the fan clean) and still gets people saying the FX range is no better. Ebuyer have one similar to mine for under £50 if memory serves... How much do you REALLY need the latest, greatest whizzo card?

Just a thought...

ThePharcyde007 17:09 19 Apr 04

You cannot substitute a good gfx card, after I went down the same route of constantly purchasing a midrange card every year, I bit the bullet and purchased one of the best 9800Pro clocked to XT speeds definately worth every penny.

Nvidia are bringing out a new card which is double the speed of everything out at the moment some impressive benchmarking scores!

inneedofhelp 17:13 19 Apr 04

at the end of the day, read any reveiw and radeons outperform the rest. Also the 9600 will serve you for some time to go.U could uy a cheap one now , but in a couple of months youll be looking for a new one,esp with new games like halo2, HL2 doom etc.I still think u should go for the 9600. unlike me, u probally wont need a 98xt, however i game a lot and graphics r important to me. yeah, some cards get by, and im sure ure does well. I had a 9200 untl yesterday, and i played all my games, but it just couldnt cope with the demands of the ggod game, perhaps when the details were turned down, but wots the point in that.

Ironman556 19:15 19 Apr 04

May have been a typo, but the Sapphire is the make of board and 9600 the model, that're the same thing, not separate cards.

Keep an eye out when looking, there's the 9600, the 9600 Pro, and the 9600 XT. The 9600 is the basic model, performs well, does a good job of it. The pro has quicker RAM and a higher clock speed. The XT's are the newer models out, not sure what's different but I guess again just clocked a little higher. Adding £10 - £15 to upgrade from the 9600 to the 9600 Pro is a good idea, it'll last a fair bit longer and look that bit better when you're gaming.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…