Getting Network printer to work

Alf58 20:27 06 Jun 03

I got a home network comprised of a Win XP and a Win ME. It works fine in terms of internet and file sharing. I got a printer connected to the Xp machine but I cant get it to work from the ME machine. I installed the printer software on the ME machine but when i try to access it from the ME machine, the printers native interface appears and says "computer cannot communicate with the printer check connections." The printer (Lexmark Z54) works fine on the Xp machine. Anyone got any of those superb links that might point me to a site that helps you configure printer sharing? Or indeed any helpful ideas?

hugh-265156 20:57 06 Jun 03

may be helpful click here

AndySD 20:59 06 Jun 03

On the XP pc in rinnter properties it gives you the option to load other drivers...load the ME drivers....now on the ME pc remove the printer...then use the Add Printer...network printer.

Alf58 21:37 06 Jun 03

When I try to add the ME drivers from the Lexmark Install Cd, Win Xp tells me the drivers are not digitally signed and wont let me go any further.

AndySD 22:00 06 Jun 03

Ooops Have you gone Start then Printers and Faxes then Right Clicked on the printer....choose Sharing then Shared it?

Alf58 23:18 06 Jun 03

Yes I have done that. Is it a bad thing to do?
The link above looks promising but I cant try it out just yet cos my daughters asleep in the room with the ME machine in it. Thanks Huggyg71

hugh-265156 23:24 06 Jun 03

just ignore the digitally signed warning and install anyway.

it costs money for the company to submit the drivers for testing by microsoft.some dont do this for older products.

should be ok.

Alf58 23:33 06 Jun 03

Xp wont allow me to install the drivers which are not digitally signed.

hugh-265156 23:38 06 Jun 03

go to controlpanel/system/hardware/driversigning and select warn prompt me to choose an action.

now it will warn you that its not signed but you can still install it.

hugh-265156 23:39 06 Jun 03

tick make default also.

Alf58 00:05 07 Jun 03

What you suggest is already selected but it wont allow unsigned drivers to be installed. No error message, it just keeps reverting back to the screen with the additional driver button. I press button tell it where the driver is located, it tells me the driver is not digitally signed and it takes me back to the additional drivers window. So round and round we go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…