Getting my website seen

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 20:20 17 Nov 05

Hi all
I have dabbled with creating a website, and have a basic grasp, however I have now a website attached to a buisness I have bought.

Initial Questions...

what do I need to look out for when transfering the domain name

How can I get this site seen?

Forum Editor 21:21 17 Nov 05

from one person to another is a fairly straightforward procedure. The actual process varies slightly, depending on which high level the name is in (.com .net.co.uk etc.) but broadly speaking it involves the current registrant contacting the registrar and requesting a registration transfer to you, the new registrant. Make sure that the current registered person does this well before the renewal date.

Note that I haven't used the word 'owner' when referring to domain name registration - nobody ever 'owns' a name in the true sense. What you do is register the name for your use during a specified period - 1 or 2 years usually - and during that time you have the right to exclusive use of the name, but that's all. Fail to renew, and you'll immediately lose your right - the name will be available for registration by someone else.

As for getting your site seen - well, that depends. Google and the other big search engines will index it automatically, although the time taken to do this varies considerably. If the site's subject matter is unusual (you breed pink Andalusian ferrets) it will be returned high up in the search results, but don't expect that to happen if you run a Jennifer Lopez appreciation site.

I know this can't be too bad....but does that mean I don't need to advertise the site (Will it 'self perpetuate' because it comes up 4th )

I do not want to post the site until I have secured all domains that I need.

I have checked easyspace and it is telling me the .co.uk domain is available. (Confusingly) it also says the .com name is available, however the site is .com Can you post a site without registration with anyone???

Cheers advice is appriciated

Forum Editor 08:48 18 Nov 05

No, you can't. Each registered domain name is tagged to a name server, and the location is propagated to the DNS databases around the world. When someone types in a domain name url the Domain Name Servers lookup the location of the tag and direct the browser to the name server involved. On arrival, the browser looks for an index page, and away you go.

If there's no name server tag there's no location for the name, and nothing will happen. The way to check names is to do a WHOIS lookup - that will give details of the registrant, if there is one. Otherwise, register your names as rapidly as possible. I can't stress that enough. Once you have done a name search via any source it's very important to get the name registered very quickly - it's not unknown for people to go back a day later and find that someone else has registered their name in the meantime.

How can the site be active, yet the domain mame still be available for registration?

I have learned that it seems to be a good idea to have other sites to contain links to your site, but how does one establish a link with other sites?

Also is it an easy enough process to sell adveryising space on the site.

I hear the advise as to registering the name of the site, which I will do as soon as the seller transfers it to me, however would like some private advise as I do not want to post the site, in case anyone does realise the potential of it, registers it then tries to sell it to me!!!!!!!

Forum Editor 12:15 18 Nov 05

running on that domain name you can be sure that it is not available for registration - no matter what anyone might tell you. Just do a WHOIS search.

You can establish links with other sites (called reciprocal linking) by asking the relevant webmaster if he/she will link to you in exchange for a link on your site. It doesn't work as easily as that of course - many sites will not be interested in you unless they think you can offer them something by way of traffic. Try to approach sites which are in some way related to, but not in competition with you.

Don't expect to sell any advertising space unless/until you can produce some healthy site traffic statistics.

If your seller is going to transfer a name to you he/she will also be transferring the unexpired portion of any prepaid registration period, so you don't have to register anything. All you must do is make absolutely sure that your name is recorded as the administrative contact, so the domain registrar will email you when renewal falls due.

I have established that the owner of the buisness is registered for the .com site, and I have now registered the .co.uk site

chuffed with the links advice, as it is what I spoke to my wife about earlier.

There is NO buisness like this on the planet.

How do I do a whois search?

Who is a good host for my sites?

PaulB2005 09:01 20 Nov 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…