is it worth buying a card instead of an adaptor
is it worth going for a gigabit card?

Ditch999 22:40 27 May 08

can i unplug this ethernet connector from my pc and directly into my ps3
No

is it worth buying a card instead of an adaptor
Yes

is it worth going for a gigabit card?
No, unless you have a Gigabit Router and all your PCs have a Gigabit ethernet port. It will make no difference to internet speeds, only speeds between PCs if all are Gigabit.

FatboySlim71 22:43 27 May 08

I have a PS3, this is how I got mine online.

1: First you need to create a Playstation Network account, this is very easy to do and the PS3 will tell you what to do the first time you try to visit the Playstation Store/go online, the process of creating the Playstation Network account takes around 5 minutes.

Yes you should be able to "unplug this ethernet connector from my pc and directly into my ps3" providing you have a modem that uses an ethernet connection.

Regarding "i need to update my pc from usb to Ethernet also is it worth buying a card instead of an adapter is it worth going for a gigabit card?"

My pc had the network card built into the motherboard when I bought it, but personally I would say you are better to have the network card which goes inside your PC via PCI rather than some adapter.

My PC uses the Realtek RTL8168B/8111B, this is built into my motherboard if I'm not mistaken, but it is possible to buy separate PCI Network cards, below are some examples.

click here

Regarding modem/routers, I can highly recommend the Netgear DG834GT, with the DG834GT you are able to choose from various custom firmware which allow more customization and can give better performance than Netgear's own firmware, but to be fair the Netgear's own firmware is fine for most people.

FatboySlim71 22:53 27 May 08

To clarify, my modem/router has 4 ports which basically allow you to have 4 devices running off of it.

I have just unplugged the Ethernet cable from the back of my PC, so basically all I had connected into the modem/router was the phone line and the other Ethernet cable going to my PS3, and YES I was still able to go online with the PS3.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…