Getting The Most Out Of My CPU

I have a quad core CPU. Is there any tweaks I can make to it to get optimum performance. I do a lot of encoding which as you know takes up a lot of power, but the system doesn't seem to handle it that well when multi tasking. I thought that one core would do the encoding leaving me the rest for other tasks. Is there a program or any settings I could change to get the most out of my PC? By the way I have 4GB memory.

GaT7 20:32 19 Jan 10

You could overclock (OC) the CPU, but the gains may not be worth the trouble. In order to OC to a good degree, you'll also need a sufficiently good aftermarket CPU cooler costing ~20-30, & your PC case needs to be large/wide enough so the cooler fits. Please note that OC'ing a CPU invalidates its warranty. G

I do believe I paid extra for a good CPU fan when I had the PC built.

The cooling I have is - 600W Quiet Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan & SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER.

OTT_B 20:43 19 Jan 10

What motherboard do you have?

OTT_B 20:44 19 Jan 10

oh and what processor model as well

Intel® Core™2 Quad Q9400 (4 X 2.66GHz) 1333MHz FSB/6MB Cache

ASUS® P5N-MX: DDR2, S-ATA II, 1 x PCI-E x16, 2 PCI, etc

GaT7 20:51 19 Jan 10

Unfortunately that particular motherboard/chipset (610i) is not known for OC'ing.

Not sure about the CPU cooler - does it have a brand & model name? G

I didn't really want to OC it and run the risk of breaking it. Just wondered if there were programs or settings I could change.

GaT7 21:00 19 Jan 10

"I didn't really want to OC it and run the risk of breaking it."

One can only damage it by carelessness.

"Just wondered if there were programs or settings I could change."

None that I know of.

Looks like your needs have become greater than your present spec can handle, so an upgrade to an Intel i7 system may be in order (funds permitting). G

ashdav 21:19 19 Jan 10

If you're running XP then you can specify which core runs which process in task manager. Right click on the options I think.
The facility is not there in Win7 I'm afraid.
(got a i7,P55 chipset mobo just to rub it in).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos