Getting on Google etc....

AdventCalendar 10:09 25 Nov 03

Excuse my ignorance, and inexperience here - but its all very new to me.

Firtly, how do you get your website onto a search engine?

and secondly, how do you get it onto the 1st page of 'results'? is it fees, or hits or what?

Many thanks

Andy

Forum Editor 10:29 25 Nov 03

it can take big money to get your site up there in the top four or five results, but not always - it very much depends on your site's subject matter. If you have a site that deals with the nesting habits of a rare species of humming bird it's likely that you'll be up there at the top anyway - their just won't be any/much competition. If on the other hand you're publishing a tribute site to Kylie you'll find yourself buried way down in the also rans.

You can submit your site to the major engines, or wait for them to find you, but success depends on having something that people want to visit. There's no point in worrying about search engines unless you're running a commercial site, or one that provides a valuable free resource, because nobody's going to search for your chronicle of the trip you took to Cyprus last summer. Commercial sites often live or die by search engine related visitors, and those are the sites that will pay fees to get a high ranking. The companies that run the search engines know this, and they're exploiting it as a useful source of revenue.

click here to add your site to Google.

READ THE SMALLPRINT. (google is safe as far as I could tell but ,just this morning, I found a dodgy line in the agreement to get listed at DMOZ so take care what you are agreeing to).

Google will probably find you by itself if you give it a little while anyway.

Simon-i 20:44 25 Nov 03

Possilby the best route is to get listed in the Open Directory Project (click here) which is free, though they don't have many editors so might never get to your site - but Google awards lots of points for this. click here is the best source of advice on getting in where it matters (free, but you are encouraged to tip if you like it!)

LiveFlyers 22:06 25 Nov 03

Theres nothing dodgy about Google young man. DMOZ.com is the largest web directory in the world and Google MUST submit your URL to it to ensure that you will appear in the listings.

All I'm saying is that people should read the smallprint. now my site is listed on google who found it by themselves and even if you go through the motions to add your url (for which I provided a link) there is nothing there to worry about.

I used the word DODGY to refer to this:
On the DMOZ submission page it tells you that by clicking the submit button you thereby agree:- 'To grant Netscape Communications Corporation a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to use, publish, copy, edit, modify, or create derivative works from my submission.'

now signing away your copyright may not worry some folk , I just feel that it was appropriate for me to point out that a deal of care should be taken when making submissions.
Personnaly I wouldnt sign that agreement.

Jester2K II 08:39 26 Nov 03

All you have to do is fill in your MetaTags and then wait. Google will find you in a few days.

Try searching for your PCA Alias in Google - see what comes up! Does PCA submit every thread to Google? NO Google finds them.

Jester2K II 08:41 26 Nov 03

Hmmm doesn't work now...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…