'Getting a File'

The Moppit 16:41 12 Dec 05

I play an online game which is a mod of quake2. When I connect to a sever it shows the IP address of their sever and the port through which it is connecting. This probably sounds as If I am a wanna be hacker but that is not what I want to be. Anyway, I would like to be able to download the file. It contains all the information of the sever etc. I understand it all however I would just like to be able to read the file. In thory it is someone on my PC as my PC must have downloaded it to be able to read it so it knows what to do. So how would I go about obtaining this nfile to read. I know their IP address (unless they have spoofed it) and know an open port.

Please help me
The Moppit

PaulB2005 16:46 12 Dec 05

Can you explain it better than that?

"I would like to be able to download the file" What file?

"In theory it is someone on my PC as my PC must have downloaded it to be able to read it so it knows what to do."

What you are asking for (not that i really understand what you are saying) sounds very questionable.

The Moppit 16:54 12 Dec 05

sorry, that was a typo. I ment that the file that contains all the sever information would have been downloaded to my computer. So the game cna then read it and understand what it has to do. I am not very good at explaining. Heres a simpler explanation.

I say, I will connect to this sever.

PC connects to the sever and reads a particular file (the one that I want to be able to view) and it contains all the information about the server that is needed so I can start playing.

So how can I read the file that I want to. I know the IP address and an open port number.

Please help me.
The Moppit

The Moppit 20:58 13 Dec 05

I was talking to somone and they mentioned using a port sniffer. How would I use this and where would I obtain one? Also, they dont sound legal. Are they?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…