Getting an Asus p5e to run 1066Mhz memory?

Phrixos 13:07 13 Apr 14

With certain settings, an Asus p5E is supposed to cater for 1066MHz RAM, but I can't find anyone who has managed it successfully.

Have you managed it?

If so, with what settings and which memory modules?

Phrixos 15:22 13 Apr 14

Hi again, MechKB. I hear you. I started this new thread because I'm now going in a new direction. If it doesn't pan out I'll revert back to the earlier plan (& thread).

I simply can't get my 800Mhz RAM to do what it's supposed to do (it tests ok, btw), so I'm now thinking that if I must double-up, to 8Gb, I might as well buy new RAM at the higher, 1066MHz, clock speed that Asus says the board can easily handle. (Perhaps it will use, at 1066MHz, more than 50% of available memory.) But having trawled the web I see there are a lot of people out there who have tried exactly that but who only ended up in a world of grief. So far, no one seems to have achieved it.

As for the question of upping to 8Gb, I don't understand how that will solve anything since Windows 7 will only recognize a max 3.2Gb—and my system seems determined only to use half of that. Can you or anyone else elaborate on why putting in 8GB will make any difference?

The memory settings in my BIOS are all set to AUTO—and the P5E manual does indeed stipulate a change in bus frequency in order to accommodate what is, technically, an overclock. Unfortunately, its manual is very badly written in this aspect and I'm unable to discern the process with the necessary certainty. Hence, this new post—looking, specifically, for anyone who has conquered this specific anomaly.

Phrixos 20:28 17 Apr 14

Thanks again, MechKB. It is as I thought, with the 3.5Gb limit on the 32-bit version of Windows 7.

As far as the fairly simple instructions in the manual, it's not so simple, as the web is awash with people having tried it and screwed up their machines in one way or another. Lots of fooling around with voltages and such in seemingly endless attempts to get those supposedly simple instructions to work. I'm beginning to think that, as far as the P5E and 1066Mhz is concerned, Asus may be talking through its hat. Not ready to take that leap without the benefit of at least a few successes, somewhere.

As for the 64-bit version of Windows 7, that would be for me a last resort (when I hastily wrote "new peripherals" I meant, of course, a whole lot of new 64-bit software.) Beyond that, and as if the techie issues weren't daunting enough, the licencing quagmire is, well, a quagmire. At least to me. When I bought the retail boxed version of Widows 7 it came (as I recall and assuming I can find where I put it) with two discs: 32-bit and 64-bit. The option, as I recall, was to choose one or the other, but that an end user is not entitled to switch from one to the other. (Feel free to correct me there--or, of course, anywhere else.) Thus, I fear the 64-bit solution means having to spend as much and probably more on new software as on a new, even high-spec, mobo--cpu--memory bundle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac